Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com> on 2007/06/06 17:32:48 UTC

[S2] JARs in plugins

Hi everyone... I'm writing my first S2 plugin and I'm running into a
problem, which may well just be one of understanding.

I had thought that any JAR placed in the root of the plugin JAR would be
added to the path, but this seemingly isn't the case.  My understanding is
that a plugin JAR is a self-contained entity, and this to me means it
should include any JARs it is itself dependant on.

So, is my understanding correct, and assuming so, how can I get those
internal JARs available?  I should note that I'm looking for the included
JARs to be available not only to my plugin code but *also* to code in the
webapp its a part of, which maybe isn't possible?  If it isn't, is there
any potential for conflict by having the same JAR within the plugin JAR
and also in WEb-INF/lib of the webapp?

Guidance is appreciate whataver the answer(s).  Thanks all!

Frank

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

Re: [S2] JARs in plugins

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Thanks Ted!  Very minor update done now as well :)

Frank

Re: [S2] JARs in plugins

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: [S2] JARs in plugins

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
On Wed, June 6, 2007 1:07 pm, Ted Husted wrote:
> On 6/6/07, Frank W. Zammetti <fz...@omnytex.com> wrote:
>> All this does however, to me anyway, mean that plugins can't really be
>> called self-contained, and saying "...can extend the framework just by
>> adding a JAR to the application's classpath" in the documentation isn't
>> 100% accurate (99% maybe).
>
> They are self-contained in the sense that all the Struts configuration
> is included, and that we do not need to do anything except drop in the
> JAR and ensure that any of the JARs dependencies are available to the
> container.  (Otherwise, we end up reinventing Maven!)

Yep, fair enough... perhaps worth clarifying though, because although I
haven't done it, I could certainly see where I would have dropped a plugin
JAR in, expecting it to work, and wondering why it blew up instead :)

> Feel free to update the documentation with that clarification :)

I'd be happy to... I don't seem to have permissions to edit the guides
pages though (or are these docs auto-generated by the build process?)

> -Ted.

Frank

Re: [S2] JARs in plugins

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: [S2] JARs in plugins

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
On Wed, June 6, 2007 12:57 pm, Musachy Barroso wrote:
> The whole auto-unpacking thing could quickly become a nightmare, not a
> good
> idea IMO.

Yeah, your probably right... If there was a way to ensure you didn't have
two versions of the same class in two different JARs I might feel
differently, but I suspect that's not possible, not without something a
bit drastic like writing a custom classloader... I for one certainly don't
want to go there :)

All this does however, to me anyway, mean that plugins can't really be
called self-contained, and saying "...can extend the framework just by
adding a JAR to the application's classpath" in the documentation isn't
100% accurate (99% maybe).

Ok, well, doesn't matter, I made my changes and have things working now,
so thanks for the clarification on this guys.

Frank

Re: [S2] JARs in plugins

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.
The whole auto-unpacking thing could quickly become a nightmare, not a good
idea IMO.

@Phil: last time I tried to get OSGi and Struts together I failed miserably,
I even feel dumber after that :). Someday I will try again, but that time I

Re: [S2] JARs in plugins

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.

Re: [S2] JARs in plugins

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.