Posted to m2-dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2005/03/23 03:40:37 UTC

SNAPSHOT design

http://docs.codehaus.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=22585

I'm now moving on to implement this.

- Brett

Re: SNAPSHOT design

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Rafal Krzewski wrote:

> Brett Porter wrote:
>
>> http://docs.codehaus.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=22585
>>
>> I'm now moving on to implement this.
>

> Cool.
>
> Two important things come to my mind after reading - my apologies in
> advance if they're obvious to others:
>
> - consistency of snapshot identifiers across primary and secondary
> artifacts produced in a single run, so that they may be correlated by
> clients correctly.

absolutely - but thanks for point it out. I'll make sure it is
explicitly listed.

> - the ability to push build number from a CI system to maven so that
> CI metadata stay consistent with the repository.

definitely possible, though I don't want to add the hooks now until we
get to the point where it is needed, to be able to keep it simple.

Thanks,
Brett

Re: SNAPSHOT design

Posted by Rafal Krzewski <Ra...@caltha.pl>.

RE: SNAPSHOT design

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
Cool. At first reading the systematic use of snapshot timestamp and the
juggling of format between local and remote repos seemed too much of magic
to me. I now understand this may be the only solution for clock issues.

I think a version.txt file may be required not only for snapshots but also
for proper release versions so that the user can specify a dependency that
is greater than a certain number (ex: 1.7+ or >1.7). Is it the plan to have
another file for it? Wouldn't it be better to merge the 2 files into one?

Thanks
-Vincent