Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jordan Naftolin <jo...@jtcsv.com> on 2000/06/09 21:00:22 UTC

link implementation

Well, I now have a working link implementation for FOP.  I spent a lot of time working on the link rectangle placement as there were a lot of problems with the old implementation.  In addition to fixing the older implementation's bugs, I've added support for links within lists, links whose text spans multiple lines, and the drawing of the link rectangle around only the link word, rather than the entire lineHeight.
I've also restructured some of the PDF classes in order to create links to other PDF's as well as external URI's.  There was some discussion last week about how to determine when to use a FileSpec (which opens the destination in acrobat reader) and when to use a URI (which opens the destination in a web browser).  Currently, I am just checking the extension for ".pdf", but if someone would like to send me some rules (i.e. if (starts with "file://") and (ends with ".pdf") then use FileSpec), then I can add those rules to the decision making code.

All together I've touched (either modified or added) around 20 files.  I'm not sure what the best method is to check-in these files.  Some files (suck as PDFLink) have been completed revamped, while others are new.  Should I send patches for files that already exist, and the source files for those that don't?  Is it easier for me to become a commiter?  Whatever is easiest for you works for me.
Please let me know.
Thanks,
Jordan

Re: link implementation

Posted by Eric SCHAEFFER <es...@posterconseil.com>.
Why don't use mime-types ?
For images, I want to create a configuration file to associate an image reader to an image mime-type. For this, I need to associate file extensions to mime-types.
We could also declare there the file extensions associated to the PDF mime-type, and say which URI mime-type is handled "internally".

No ?

Eric.
Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.
I think the fastest way, at the moment, is to prepare a ZIP archive of your
work and email it to a committer prepared to handle it. This I can take care
of.

If you could just prepare a manifest, that explains whether the file is new
or modified, and adds the CVS comment that you would like to be associated
with each, that's all I need. Don't bother doing 'cvs diff' for any of the
files.

If you think that you will be actively involved for some time, and will be
either generating significant numbers of mods, or in a position to help
handle the commit load, then I have no objection to you being a committer,
and here's my interim +1 vote to signify that. :-)

Arved Sandstrom