Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Ajad, Aravind" <ar...@bankofamerica.com> on 2001/09/22 22:58:13 UTC

PDF generation for the first time is slow....

Hi all,

I am using FOP in embedding mode from a servlet.  After starting
the Servlet engine, for the first time PDF generation is painfully slow.
It takes about 5 minutes to generate and stream a PDF document.  I have
observed the console logs and it's taking about 4 minutes to print the
first line in the log.  Then after a minute I could see all the following
lines.
However, subsequent hits generate and stream the document within seconds.
This problem is observed only in UNIX (Solaris 2.6), but not in NT.

---------
building formatting object tree
setting up fonts
 [1]
Parsing of document complete, stopping renderer
Initial heap size: 9722Kb
Current heap size: 10374Kb
Total memory used: 651Kb
  Memory use is indicative; no GC was performed
  These figures should not be used comparatively
Total time used: 41739ms
Pages rendererd: 1
Avg render time: 41739ms/page
---------

I am using  java version "1.2.2"
Solaris VM (build Solaris_JDK_1.2.2_05a, native threads, sunwjit).

If anybody have a solution to this problem, that would be of great help to
me.

thanks in advance,
Aravind.