Posted to hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> on 2013/08/17 04:39:36 UTC

hadoop-2.1.1-beta & hadoop-2.2.0 (GA)

Gang,

 I spent time looking through changes slated for hadoop-2.1.1-beta and things look fairly contained (~10 or so changes for each of Common, HDFS, YARN & MapReduce).

 Can I, henceforth, request committers to exercise large dollops of caution when committing to branch-2.1-beta? This way I hope we can quickly turn around to make a hadoop-2.1.1-beta release in the next couple of weeks. This can be followed by a bit more testing so that we are in a position to release hadoop-2.2.0 (GA/stable).

 In other words, I'm hoping hadoop-2.1.1-beta can be, um, the 'golden master' for the final hadoop-2 GA release. I don't mean to jinx it but saying it out loud, but I feel we could look at pushing out hadoop-2 GA by mid-September… there I said it! *smile*

 Thoughts?

thanks,
Arun

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: hadoop-2.1.1-beta & hadoop-2.2.0 (GA)

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.
Looking at the blockers, MAPREDUCE and YARN at least, looks like we'll need a week or two.

A branch 2.1.1 would mean commits to 4 branches. Assuming everyone is only committing blockers, bugs and critical fixes to branch-2.1-beta, we should be okay with not creating yet another branch.

Thanks,
+Vinod

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
FYI - here is the end-point I'm using to track blockers on 2.1.1-beta:
http://s.apache.org/hadoop-2.1.1-beta-blockers

Essentially, these are *Blocker* bugs with *Target Version* set to 2.1.1-beta.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.