Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl> on 2007/09/19 10:28:20 UTC

Re: svn commit: r576702 - in /openejb/branches/3.0-beta-1/assembly/openejb-standalone/src/main: assembly/bin.xml conf/README.txt resources/README.txt

Hi,

Hmmm, I don't like the commit. Why? First, because these two files are
really not necessary (read on to find out why). Second, because I
spent a lot of time tweaking the plugin and when it worked (almost)
well, it's thrown away. Don't read it as a complaint, but as a gentle
reminder to me to be more responsive and step forward whenever my or
any work is about to be destroyed.

Technically speaking...there're two parameters of the NOTICE.vm
(velocity template) in mrrp (exactly in
org\apache\apache-jar-resource-bundle\1.2\apache-jar-resource-bundle-1.2.jar!META-INF\NOTICE.vm)
- where you can specify what's before - preProjectText - and after -
postProjectText - the generated content. So, we could leverage what's
in Geronimo's legal files (download them once they're available as
resources via mrrp) and inject their content into these Velocity
variables that will eventually go into our legal files.

How does it sound? We need to generate the legal files on the fly as
we won't be able to manage them manually. I'm all ears to hear your
opinions before I make the change that could not be appreciated as
much as I wish it should :P

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On 9/19/07, David Blevins <db...@visi.com> wrote:

> You did some work to include the m-r-r-plugin in the build, great!
> Kevan did some work and found the generated NOTICE files were not
> valid and detailed what is valid, also great.  I did some work to
> trim the dependencies down and created a valid NOTICE file for the
> remaining dependencies, great too.

Absolutely!

> Seems like healthy teamwork to me, everyone chipping in one piece of
> the whole puzzle.  If you know a way to get the hand written NOTICE
> text into the m-r-r-p generated text that's fantastic!

That's exactly what I meant to hear. Thanks!

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl

Posted by David Blevins <db...@visi.com>.
On Sep 19, 2007, at 1:28 AM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Hmmm, I don't like the commit. Why? First, because these two files are
> really not necessary (read on to find out why). Second, because I
> spent a lot of time tweaking the plugin and when it worked (almost)
> well, it's thrown away. Don't read it as a complaint, but as a gentle
> reminder to me to be more responsive and step forward whenever my or
> any work is about to be destroyed.

You did some work to include the m-r-r-plugin in the build, great!
Kevan did some work and found the generated NOTICE files were not
valid and detailed what is valid, also great.  I did some work to
trim the dependencies down and created a valid NOTICE file for the
remaining dependencies, great too.

Seems like healthy teamwork to me, everyone chipping in one piece of
the whole puzzle.  If you know a way to get the hand written NOTICE
text into the m-r-r-p generated text that's fantastic!

-David