Posted to xmlrpc-dev@ws.apache.org by ba...@wipro.com on 2009/10/13 15:49:54 UTC

XML RPC Question

Hi,

We are making use of a configuration where the XMLRPC Server is brought
up in one linux server and the XMLRpc Client class is invoked in another
Linux Server(via a shell script and both are behind the firewall).The
XMLRPC server invokes a java business class and it runs for more than
one hour.The server is set to return "0" on success and "1" on failure.

We are seeing the connection to be terminated b/w the client and server
exactly after one hour although the server process is completing without
any issues.We are seeing a "Connection reset" error and the message
displayed is an error (msg to be displayed when return is 1).However,we
are not seeing any exceptions in the server log(after 1 hr and 30 mins
run).We are seeing success messages or completion of the business class.

Is there a default connection timeout that is set/could be defined b/w
the XMLRPC Client and Server?Or could it be a socket connection
timeout/OS level timeout that could be creating the issue?

Regards,
Bala

www.wipro.com

Re: XML RPC Question

Posted by Ken Tanaka <Ke...@noaa.gov>.
I agree, your communications would then be much more resistant to
network interruptions. And if the server and client each store the
unique ID (along with essential parameters), either could possibly be
shutdown and restarted and be able to resume the transaction.

-Ken

Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if your task actually requires more than one hour to run, I'd strongly
> recommend an asynchronous procedure, like this:
>
> - On the server, spawn a thread, which creates a unique ID. The new thread
>   starts performing the task and returns the ID to the client.
> - Client starts running in a loop. Every minute or so, send a query to
> the server,
>   whether the thread is ready. If so, leave the loop. Otherwise, go sleeping for
>   another minute.
>
> Should be much easier to implement than taking care of all these TCP/IP and
> HTTP related timeout considerations.
>
> Jochen
>

> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 3:49 PM,  <ba...@wipro.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We are making use of a configuration where the XMLRPC Server is brought
>> up in one linux server and the XMLRpc Client class is invoked in another
>> Linux Server(via a shell script and both are behind the firewall).The
>> XMLRPC server invokes a java business class and it runs for more than
>> one hour.The server is set to return "0" on success and "1" on failure.
>>
>> We are seeing the connection to be terminated b/w the client and server
>> exactly after one hour although the server process is completing without
>> any issues.We are seeing a "Connection reset" error and the message
>> displayed is an error (msg to be displayed when return is 1).However,we
>> are not seeing any exceptions in the server log(after 1 hr and 30 mins
>> run).We are seeing success messages or completion of the business class.
>>
>> Is there a default connection timeout that is set/could be defined b/w
>> the XMLRPC Client and Server?Or could it be a socket connection
>> timeout/OS level timeout that could be creating the issue?
>>

>> Regards,
>> Bala
>>
>> Please do not print this email unless it is absolutely necessary.
>>
>> The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.
>>
>> WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted via email. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.
>>
>> www.wipro.com

RE: XML RPC Question

Posted by ba...@wipro.com.
Hi Jochen,

The setup is running in production for more than 1 year and we are
seeing the timeout behaviour only recently when the time of execution of
the server process is >1hr.Modifying the arch would be quite difficult
at this point.

I was looking at multiple layers and was little sceptic on if there
could be an inbuilt timeout that would be available.Please let me know
if that could be possible or is there no such param availbale?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Bala

wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are making use of a configuration where the XMLRPC Server is
> brought up in one linux server and the XMLRpc Client class is invoked
> in another Linux Server(via a shell script and both are behind the
> firewall).The XMLRPC server invokes a java business class and it runs
> for more than one hour.The server is set to return "0" on success and
"1" on failure.

> We are seeing the connection to be terminated b/w the client and
> server exactly after one hour although the server process is
> completing without any issues.We are seeing a "Connection reset" error

> and the message displayed is an error (msg to be displayed when return

> is 1).However,we are not seeing any exceptions in the server log(after

> 1 hr and 30 mins run).We are seeing success messages or completion of
the business class.

> Is there a default connection timeout that is set/could be defined b/w

> the XMLRPC Client and Server?Or could it be a socket connection
> timeout/OS level timeout that could be creating the issue?
>

> Regards,
> Bala

addressee(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not
immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.

transmitted by this email.

--
Germanys national anthem is the most boring in the world - how telling!

www.wipro.com

Re: XML RPC Question

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
Germanys national anthem is the most boring in the world - how telling!