Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Smith, Mitchell" <mi...@cwc.com> on 2012/02/10 17:43:19 UTC

Tomcat 5.5.35 as Windows Service Java Opts

Hi,

I am trying to configure some additional parameters for a tomcat
installation

Tomcat5.5.35
Windows Server 2003

Due to the nature of the WebService to be hosted on this tomcat
installation I would like to increase the Eden heap size.

With my previous Linux Implementations adding -XX:NewSize=1234m to my java
opts worked, however if i try to add this to the service in Windows, the
value appears to be ignored.
[image: image.png]

It appears in the VM arguments, but the value is not propogated to the Heap
Configurations.

[image: image.png]

[image: image.png]
*Max: 838,912 kbytes*
*
*

I appreciate any assistance in this matter.

Regards

--
*Mitchell Smith*

The information contained in this email (and any attachments) is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient
and have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and delete the message and any attachments.
If you are not the named addressee, you must not copy, disclose, forward or otherwise use the information contained in this email.
Cable & Wireless Communications Plc and its affiliates reserve the right to monitor all email communications through their networks to
ensure regulatory compliance.

Cable & Wireless Communications Plc is a company registered in England & Wales with number:
07130199 and offices located at 3rd Floor, 26 Red Lion Square, London WC1R 4HQ

Re: Tomcat 5.5.35 as Windows Service Java Opts

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Smith, Mitchell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to configure some additional parameters for a tomcat
> installation
>
> Tomcat5.5.35
> Windows Server 2003

32-bit ?
JVM 32-bit ?

> Due to the nature of the WebService to be hosted on this tomcat
> installation I would like to increase the Eden heap size.
>
> With my previous Linux Implementations adding -XX:NewSize=1234m to my java
> opts worked, however if i try to add this to the service in Windows, the
> value appears to be ignored.
> [image: image.png]

The image appears to have been stripped by the mail server.

> It appears in the VM arguments, but the value is not propogated to the Heap
> Configurations.

If the system and JVM are 32-bit, you only have about 2 GB of addressable space per
process (even if the system has a lot more RAM in total).  I believe that the JVM may
ignore the argument if it is too large.