Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Peter Fuerholz <Pe...@ascom.ch> on 2010/04/07 10:27:52 UTC

Logging multiple WS client instances?

Hi there,

I have a signed WebStart application which logs defaultly into the current
user's home directory. (If I use a relative path the log file is saved
under a browser specific path which is not very user friendly.)
There are now cases where it is sensible to start this webstart
application twice or more times. In this case, all program instances write
to the same log file which makes it very difficult to read.

I came up with following two solutions:
- Put each log file into a session-specific path, e.g.
<home>/.<application-name>/<session-id>/<filename>
  session-id must be program instance specific identifier
- Use MDC. Distinguish the different client instances by using different
MDC-keys.
  - may be a problem using RollingFileAppender (may get messed up
according older mailing list entry)
  - produces lot of extra data since the case, where > 1 program instance
is running, is rather small

Is there a default behaviour how to solve this issue?

Thanks,
Peter