Posted to user@drill.apache.org by Carlos Derich <ca...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/09 23:15:28 UTC

Failed to fetch parquet metadata after 15000ms

Hello guys,

Asking this question here because I think i've hit a wall with this
problem, I am consistently getting the same error, when running a query on
a directory-based parquet file.

The directory contains six 158MB parquet files.

RESOURCE ERROR: Waited for 15000ms, but tasks for 'Fetch parquet
metadata' are not complete. Total runnable size 6, parallelism 6.

Both queries fail:

*select count(*) from dfs.`/tmp/37454954-3c0a-47c5-9793-1c333d87fbbb/`*

*select * from* *from dfs.`/tmp/37454954-3c0a-47c5-9793-1c333d87fbbb/`
limit 1*

BUT If I try running any other query in any of the 6 parquet files inside
the directory it works fine:
eg:
*select * from
dfs.`/tmp/37454954-3c0a-47c5-9793-1c333d87fbbb/185d3076-v_docker_node0001-140526122190592.parquet`*

Running *`refresh table metadata`* gives me the exact same error.

Also tried to set *planner.hashjoin* to false.

Checking the drill source it seems that the wait metadata timeout is not
configurable.

Have any of you faced a similar situation ?

Running this locally on my 16GB RAM machine, hdfs in a single node.

I also found an open ticket with the same error message:

Thank you in advance.

Re: Failed to fetch parquet metadata after 15000ms

Posted by Carlos Derich <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hey Kunal, thanks for the help !

I've found the problem, my parquet files were being generated by a third
party warehouse db with an export to parquet command.

It seems that the parquet files being generated are somehow corrupted,
making the parquet reader to eat all the memory and then dying.

I'm opening a ticket with them.

Tested creating the parquet files from drill itself instead of from the
warehouse and it worked fine and super fast.

Thanks for all the help

Posted by Kunal Khatua <ku...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carlos Derich <ca...@gmail.com>.
It is relatively big ?