Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Darrel Austin <da...@visi.com> on 2002/02/12 17:55:31 UTC

Does Listening on port 80 mess things up?

I had my linux box set up to listen to a specific port for HTTP. We recently
changed things around and gave it it's own IP address. So, I left the listen
line in the config file as such: listen 80.

I then could not get the server to respond. I finally tried deleting the
listen line and then it worked why.

Can anyone explain why that is? I thought the server listens on port 80 by
default as-is.

Just curious...

-Darrel

Re: Does Listening on port 80 mess things up?

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
Darrel Austin wrote:

> Let me rephrase the question.
>
> I originally had apache set to listen to port 8015 when I was using that
> port. It worked fine.
>
> Recently, we gave that box its own IP address, so we routed traffic normally
> (on port 80).
>
> I didn't delete the listen command...I simply changed it to 'Listen 80',
> thinking it would work.
>
> However, leaving that line in the config file disabled the server. If I
> removed it completely, it worked fine.

On port 80?

> My question was, why is that?

I don't suppose you could've typed "Listen 8O" by any chance...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle.

RE: Does Listening on port 80 mess things up?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
> From: Darrel Austin [mailto:daustin@visi.com]

> Let me rephrase the question.
>
> I originally had apache set to listen to port 8015 when I was using that
> port. It worked fine.
>
> Recently, we gave that box its own IP address, so we routed
> traffic normally
> (on port 80).
>
> I didn't delete the listen command...I simply changed it to 'Listen 80',
> thinking it would work.
>
> However, leaving that line in the config file disabled the server. If I
> removed it completely, it worked fine.
>
> My question was, why is that?

My best guess is that something else changed inbetween the non-working and
working server that you didn't realize.  I have never heard of any problems
with the "Listen 80" configuration.

Joshua.

Re: Does Listening on port 80 mess things up?

Posted by Darrel Austin <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Martin Haase-Thomas <mh...@meome-ag.de>.