Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/14 13:06:57 UTC

[OT] Internet Time (was Re: Putting execute() in ActionForm)

On 7/11/05, Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just remember ... the lifetime of Struts 1.x (five years since initial
> conception, four years since 1.0) is basically a geologic era in terms
> of Internet time :-).

Ahh, but time is an illusion, and Internet time doubly so :)

It seems to me that a lot of us are still solving the same problems we
had five years ago with the same applications we wrote five years ago.
Struts promised us applications that would be easier to maintain than
rewrite, and, boy, has it delivered.

Of course, over the last five years, we've managed to make Struts
applications even easier to write and maintain, with features like
declarative validation and exception handling, Tiles, JAAS support,
modules, multiple configurations, Wildcard mappings, BSF Scripting,
Workflow, DynaActionForms, LazyDynaActionForms, and even instant
DynaActionForms (FormDef) -- to name a few :)

We still don't have "UI components", but Struts works fine with
coolness gizmos like DisplayTags and Layout. Of course, Struts plays
nice with other great tools, like SecurityFilter and SiteMesh. And
while Struts is harder to test than we would like, libraries like
Struts TestCase and Web Canoo lighten the load.

Most recently, just as Microsoft starting to think about Ajax support,

* http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/06/28/416185.aspx

members of the Struts community are delivering Ajax support.

*  http://javawebparts.sourceforge.net/

It is disappointing that Struts 1.3.x has stalled again -- since there
is some real innovation under that hood. But at least we are within
spitting distance. Eventually, I'm sure someone will be able to spare
a few days to push it out the door.

-Ted.