Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mike Warne <mi...@pihana.com> on 2002/12/06 22:19:30 UTC

New install, can't get manager or admin to work..

Hi,

I've tried looking through the docs, and the Manager web app howto, but nothing seems to work.

I have a user set up with a role of admin, and a user set up with role of manager in /conf/tomcat-users.xml.
admin app says incorrect user or password, manager says 403 error "Access to the requested resource has been denied"
There are no logs in the logs directory, so I have no clue what could be wrong.
My personal workstation setup is:  Win2K,  j2sdk1.4.0_02, Tomcat4.1.12.

JSP/Servlet Examples work..
Any hints?

Thanks,
Mike Warne

Re: New install, can't get manager or admin to work..

Posted by George Hester <he...@hotmail.com>.
OK I got this to work with your configuration.  Except I am using:

Windows 2000 Professional SP3, Tomacat 4.1.16 (Beta), j2sdk1.4.0_01.

In %Catalina_Home%\conf\tomcat-users.xml leave what is already there alone.  Here is mine (notice the order; that is very important)

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<tomcat-users>
  <role rolename="admin"/>
  <role rolename="manager"/>
  <role rolename="role1"/>
  <role rolename="tomcat"/>
  <user username="admin" password="****" roles="admin"/>
  <user username="manager" password="****" roles="manager"/>
  <user username="role1" password="tomcat" roles="role1"/>
  <user username="tomcat" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat"/>
  <user username="both" password="****" roles="admin,manager"/>
</tomcat-users>

Save this.  Do this with Tomcat not running.  Then startup Tomcat.  You should be able to access the Manager and Admin through the Tomcat Startup page.  If you cannot stop Tomacat and restart it.  It took me twice.  HTH

--
George Hester