Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by AJ Chen <aj...@web2express.org> on 2020/05/07 20:40:32 UTC

log4j failed on tomcat9

I use eclipse to develop web app for tomcat, Web app has a dependent
project and so the dependent project and all jars are added on the
classpath for tomcat runtime. Log4j works on tomcat 6. But after upgrate to
tomcat 9, log4j failed to start with the following error. Anyone has seen
similar problem? log4j2 also failed. Thanks.

log4j:ERROR A "org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender" object is not
assignable to a "org.apache.log4j.Appender" variable.
log4j:ERROR The class "org.apache.log4j.Appender" was loaded by
log4j:ERROR [sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader@18b4aac2] whereas object of
type
log4j:ERROR "org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender" was loaded by
[ParallelWebappClassLoader

aj

Re: log4j failed on tomcat9

Posted by AJ Chen <aj...@web2express.org>.
Hi Chris,
my web app META-INF/lib has log4j jar,  but CATALINA_BASE/lib does not have
log4j jar listed.
It should be double loading class issue. I need to find out how to exclude
the unwanted classloading.
-aj

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 2:48 PM Christopher Schultz <

Re: log4j failed on tomcat9

Posted by AJ Chen <aj...@web2express.org>.
Hi Luis, good blog for logging settings. thanks.
-aj

Re: log4j failed on tomcat9

Re: log4j failed on tomcat9

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: log4j failed on tomcat9

Posted by AJ Chen <aj...@web2express.org>.
More test info trying to isolate the problem:
Task:
  developing  web app project on eclipse 2019 version. main project
includes a dependent project (sub-project) on the same eclipse.

Run main app as java app:
  main app vm parameters include: -Dlog4j.configurationFile,
LogManager.getLogger() returns correct logger in main app as well as
sub-project code. meaning, Log4j2 messages can print as expected. no error.

Run web app on tomcat 9, 8 or 7:
For tomcat runtime classpath, eclipse requires to add the sub-project and
all the jars needed (include log4j2 jars), otherwise it complains with no
class found error. However, after log4j2 jars are added, it throws the
above " ERROR StatusLogger Unrecognized format specifier " errors. The web
app can run. Log4j2 messages can print in the main app codes. BUT, Logger
in the sub-project codes does not print messages because it has error.

The cause may be in tomcat or in log4j2, or even eclipse. Any idea?

thanks,
-aj

Re: log4j failed on tomcat9

Posted by AJ Chen <aj...@web2express.org>.