Posted to user@struts.apache.org by fea jabi <zy...@hotmail.com> on 2005/12/21 20:35:19 UTC

html:multibox with LabelValueBean

Trying to use html:multibox with LabelValueBean.

Getting error doing the same.

<form-bean>
	 <form-property name="Items" type="java.util.ArrayList[]"/>
         <form-property name="SelectedItems" type="java.util.ArrayList[]"/>
</form-bean>

In prepare Action

LabelValueBean lblValueBean1 = new LabelValueBean("Visa1", "V1");
LabelValueBean lblValueBean2 = new LabelValueBean("MasterCard1", "M1");

  ArrayList misList = new ArrayList();
  misList.add(lblValueBean1);
  misList.add(lblValueBean2);

  ArrayList selectedList = new ArrayList();
  selectedList.add(lblValueBean1);

  form.set("Items", misList);
  form.set("SelectedItems", selectedList);
.

In JSP
<logic:iterate id="item" property="Items">
          <bean:write name="item" property="value"/>
          <bean:write name="item" property="label"/>
</logic:iterate>

not sure what's wrong in here.

Also, would like to know if it's better to use the logicIterate or JSTL to
loop thru the items as I am new to JSTL too.

Thanks.

Re: html:multibox with LabelValueBean

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 12/22/05, fea jabi <zy...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Laurie. that worked.
>
> why is JSTL prefered over the logic tags? is there any doc I can read
> about
> the same?
>
> Thanks.

A couple of reasons I (as the original developer of the logic tags :-)
prefer the JSTL versions:

* The expression syntax for JSTL's logic tags is much more powerful
  and concise.

* JSTL provides the equivalent of a "switch" statement in Java or C
  for dealing with if/else or if-elseif-elseif-else type scenarios.  Struts
does not.
  See the <c:choose>, <c:when>, and <c:otherwise> tags.

* The JSTL tags are provided by the container, and can potentially be
  performance optimized by the container provider.

* The JSTL expression syntax is now (as of JSP 2.0) available everywhere
  in a JSP page, not just in tags that understand the syntax.

* The JSTL syntax is very similar to the JSF expression syntax, so if you
  ever switch to using JSF for your view technology, you won't have to
  learn a new expression language syntax.

The Struts logic tags preceeded JSTL, but they have basically been
superceded by the standard functionality.  They're still in the library
primarily for backwards compatibility.

Craig

Re: html:multibox with LabelValueBean

Posted by Pazhanikanthan Periasamy <Pa...@caritor.com>.
If the requirement is deviated from the regular / common requirements,
then obviously it is possible. Based on my experience, I have not faced a
situation where I cannot use. Not offending anyone in particular, most of
such difficulties arise becoz some of us (developers including me) dont
know how to use the tag libs properly.

Thanks and regards,
Pazhanikanthan. P
Project Leader,
Caritor (India) Pvt. Ltd.,
Madras - 600 006
Mob: 9886152717
Extn: 40123

Srinivas Jadcharla <jd...@gmail.com>
12/22/2005 09:19 PM
Please respond to
"Struts Users Mailing List" <us...@struts.apache.org>

cc

Subject
Re: html:multibox with LabelValueBean

I may be wrong but i saw in some situations i dont have proper tag libs in
struts.

On 12/22/05, Pazhanikanthan Periasamy
<Pa...@caritor.com>
wrote:

> Apache Struts developers are very very clever to ensure that you wont
get
> an oppurtunity for using JSTL :)
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Pazhanikanthan. P
> Project Leader,
> Caritor (India) Pvt. Ltd.,
> Madras - 600 006
> Mob: 9886152717
> Extn: 40123
>

> Srinivas Jadcharla <jd...@gmail.com>
> 12/22/2005 09:14 PM
> Please respond to
> "Struts Users Mailing List" <us...@struts.apache.org>

> cc
>
> Subject
> Re: html:multibox with LabelValueBean
>

> I think its always better to use Struts taglibs where ever it is
possible
> because of less coding.Where exactly we need JSTL(Wild guess .where its
> not
> possible with  Struts tag libs?) .Correct me if iam wrong
>
> On 12/22/05, Pazhanikanthan Periasamy
> <Pa...@caritor.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Fea,
> >
> > I dont think, there are any differences in the way both JSTL and
Struts

Posted by Srinivas Jadcharla <jd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pazhanikanthan Periasamy <Pa...@caritor.com>.

Posted by Srinivas Jadcharla <jd...@gmail.com>.