Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Matt Carrier <ma...@oracle.com> on 2007/06/21 21:23:30 UTC

JCR to WebDav adapter

Users and Dev of Jackrabbit,

    I am posting to both mailing lists because I do not know which one
would be more relevent to my question.

    I was wondering if anyone has heard of a JCR to WebDav adapter.  I
know that jackrabbit has a JCRWebDavServer which allows remoting of JCR
calls into Jackrabbit.  But I am looking for a single adapter that would
map JCR into appropriate WebDav protocol.

If this adapter was created then this adapter would provide JCR access
into all repositories with a WebDav Server.

Thanks in advance,
Matt Carrier

Re: JCR to WebDav adapter

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
Angela Schreiber wrote:
>> Or know of anyone that I could ask about that contribution (Julian?)?
>
> julian is working on its own SPI implementation, which does not
> form part of the jackrabbit project. as far as i understood, the
> repository he connects to is a webDAV server.

Yes, and no. The repository *has* it's own WebDAV server, but I'm
connecting to it through it's native Java API.

That being said, our company has developed something similar in the past
(for SAP's KM API, not JCR/SPI), and it turned out to work very well.

Best regards, Julian

Re: JCR to WebDav adapter

Posted by Angela Schreiber <an...@day.com>.
hi matt

> Let me see if I can grasp the concept of the SPI.
>
> The SPI contribution contains two things:
> 1) A JCR implementation that handles transient storage (I didn't see
> this in the code base, but I did see a jcr2spi and a spi2jcr)
> 2) A SPI implementation that handles the persistence of that storage
>       I'm guessing on save in session.
...an upon all workspace operations.

actually there are 3 things:

1) the JCR implementation (jcr2spi)
2) the SPI interfaces
3) various implementations of the SPI
    -> spi2jcr
    -> spi-rmi
    -> spi2dav

> Here are a few Questions:
> 1) Does anyone have any information on the spi2dav contribution?

its the counterpart of the JCRWebDavServer. i.e. it
translates the spi calls to webdav calls in a way that the jcr-server
can deal with it.

> Or
> know of anyone that I could ask about that contribution (Julian?)?

julian is working on its own SPI implementation, which does not
form part of the jackrabbit project. as far as i understood, the
repository he connects to is a webDAV server.

> 2) Are there any javadocs for the SPI?

you can create them in you jackrabbit checkout by running

mvn javadoc:javadoc

inside the spi contrib. the documentation is still quite
sparse, but it may be sufficient to get an overview. in
addition there are a couple of overview-images in the
docs folder.

angela

Re: JCR to WebDav adapter

Posted by Matt Carrier <ma...@oracle.com>.
Angela, thanks for the quick response!

Let me see if I can grasp the concept of the SPI.

The SPI contribution contains two things:
1) A JCR implementation that handles transient storage (I didn't see
this in the code base, but I did see a jcr2spi and a spi2jcr)
2) A SPI implementation that handles the persistence of that storage

       I'm guessing on save in session.

Here are a few Questions:
1) Does anyone have any information on the spi2dav contribution?  Or
know of anyone that I could ask about that contribution (Julian?)?
2) Are there any javadocs for the SPI?

Thanks,
Matt

Re: JCR to WebDav adapter