Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/23 19:34:52 UTC

Maven pom for 1.2.8 (was: Re: [Struts Wiki] Update of "StrutsRelease128" by NiallPemberton)

On 11/20/05, Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> wrote:

> - || C2. || Deploy JAR to Apache Java-Repository || ||
> + || C2. || Deploy JAR to Apache Java-Repository || (./) ||

This this caught my eye on dev@maven:
   struts 1.2.4 and 1.2.8 dependencies still broken
   http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MEV-227

Maven 2 users are _so_ demanding. :)  In addition to uploading the
.jar file, I think we need to put a pom here:
   http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/struts/poms/

The 1.2.7 pom on ibiblio looks good (it has 'provided' scope for the
Servlet api and 'test' scope for JUnit) and can be used as a starting
point:
   http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/struts/struts/1.2.7/struts-1.2.7.pom

(It's different from the one in java-repository because the Maven team
has overridden it with one in
svn://svn.codehaus.org/maven/scm/repository/struts to fix the
dependencies.  More info here:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-maven-evangelism.html )

I'll look at it this weekend if no one beats me to it.

--
Wendy

Re: Maven pom for 1.2.8 (was: Re: [Struts Wiki] Update of "StrutsRelease128" by NiallPemberton)

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
> On 11/24/05, Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I think I've fixed the 1.2.8 project.xml.
>
> Niall, I know you've been busy with Resources. :) Is it okay to upload
> this to java-repository?
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/struts/action/branches/STRUTS_1_2_BRANCH/project.xml
>
> For 1.2.4, I modified the pom from ibiblio and asked Matt Raible (who
> identified the problem) to test it.  From there the Maven team pulled
> it from Matt's repository and put it in mave/repository/struts where
> it will override the one in java-repository.  Everyone seems happy
> with that, so no need to go back and modify the 1.2.4 project.xml file
> at this point.

Sorry, yes go ahead and thanks :-)

Niall

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 11/24/05, Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Part of the problem is that the Struts 1.2.x uses ant for the build - not
> sure if the maven one works properly or not.
>
> The ant build doesn't have xalan at all - just the xerces (xml-apis)
> dependency. I believe the xml-apis is an inherited dependency from digester
> for processing config files - and is only required for JDK 1.3 and earlier.
> Defintely needed for running the tests, but not sure whether its needed for
> compiling or not.

Okay, I think I've fixed the 1.2.8 project.xml.   Will you do the
honors and upload it to java-repository?   (This may be an iterative
process;  I'll watch for more bug reports at Maven.)

Now I need to fix the 1.2.4 pom... how?  Is copying the tag to a
branch reasonable to do for a few lines in a single file?  Fixing the
m2 poms is a special case of needing to change "released" files. :/

Another option is to ask Carlos to put the existing 1.2.4 pom in
maven/repository/struts/ and patch it from there.  That's the "Maven
Evangelism" method. ;)

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
Part of the problem is that the Struts 1.2.x uses ant for the build - not
sure if the maven one works properly or not.

The ant build doesn't have xalan at all - just the xerces (xml-apis)
dependency. I believe the xml-apis is an inherited dependency from digester
for processing config files - and is only required for JDK 1.3 and earlier.
Defintely needed for running the tests, but not sure whether its needed for
compiling or not.

Sorry, got to run to do my French homework - I'll try and find time to have
a closer look later, unless you have it all figured out by then.

Niall

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
The following url is to check out the 1.2 branch:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/struts/action/branches/STRUTS_1_2_BRANCH

Sorry I don't think this is documented anywhere - I guess we all got
educated on it when the svn conversion was happening - which doesn't help
for committers that have arrived after :-(

Niall

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
Wendy,