Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Mikeal Rogers <mi...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/14 22:32:23 UTC

[Proposal] Windmill

This is a proposal to enter the incubator.

See http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/WindmillProposal for the most
up-to-date version.

We look forward to comments and discussion.

= Abstract =

The goal of Windmill is to build the best tool for automated testing
of dynamic Web applications across all major browsers.

= Proposal =

Windmill provides a full-stack automation solution for dynamic Web-
application testing.

It accomplishes this by implementing an extensive test API in
JavaScript, and providing an intelligent proxy that can overcome the
browser's same-domain security policy. The test API allows a single
test to run on every major browser across all major operating systems.

Windmill boasts a wide range of debugging and test-authoring tools
that make test writing, debugging, and editing a more streamlined
process.

= Background =

Windmill was created at the Open Source Applications Foundation by
Mikeal Rogers and Adam Christian to test the Chandler Server Web UI.
It was announced more broadly at OSCON 2007 and has since enjoyed a
wide range of use and contributions.

In January 2008, all the full-time, paid contributors from OSAF moved
on to other employment. The project has since retained steady
contribution despite having no full-time, paid contributors.

In July 2008, we proposed the project move its hosting away from OSAF
because of uncertainty about long term sustainability -- due to OSAF's
transition to a smaller-scale, mostly volunteer structure.

= Rationale =

Windmill was created to fulfill a need for a better dynamic Web-
application testing tool after much frustration with existing
solutions. We believe it has accomplished this goal and continues to
improve, with ongoing, open interaction with the community.

What the project currently lacks is clear direction, leadership, and
process. We believe the project would benefit greatly from Incubator
mentorship, which would allow it to see much wider adoption, and grow
a broader community.

= Current Status =

== Meritocracy ==

Since the project's inception, its development has been coordinated
through collaborative decision-making (e.g., "+1 voting") on the
mailing list, and open discussion on IRC.

== Community ==

Although the list of Core Developers has remained small we’ve welcomed
outside contributions. Along with a few small but good patches, we’ve
received some very good bugs and numerous features requests from the
community. Our wiki documentation is being continually improved by our
users.

We also have a very good reputation of providing support and resolving
problems on IRC (#windmill on irc.freenode.net).A number of our users
have stayed around to help others in need.

== Core Developers ==

Mikeal Rogers (Most of the Python code)
Adam Christian (Most of the JavaScript code)

== Alignment ==

Since Windmill was started at OSAF, it has enjoyed contributions from
a variety of paid staff at OSAF. All of those employees are now
employed elsewhere -- below are the ones that are still active.

  * Mikeal Rogers (Mozillla)
  * Adam Christian (Slide)
  * Matthew Eernisse (Seesmic)

= Known Risks =

== Orphaned Products ==

The project has survived the loss of paid contributions and continues
to grow in use, despite a clear lack of leadership (I have only myself
to blame).

== Inexperience with Open Source ==

All the contributors have a history in open-source development and the
policies of the project were developed with the help of Ted Leung.

== Reliance on Salaried Developers ==

As of July 2008 one developer is paid part-time for his work on
Windmill. The rest of the contributions are all volunteer at this time.

== A Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ==

One can’t ignore the impact the Apache brand has on a project, but
what this project needs isn’t branding -- it’s the benefit of
Incubator mentorship, direction, leadership, and process.

= Documentation =

http://windmill.osafoundation.org/

= Initial Source =

The code is currently hosted on OSAF’s Subversion server.

http://svn.osafoundation.org/windmill/

= Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan =

We’ve gotten consent from OSAF to move the project to new location.

= External Dependencies =

We have a long list of external Python dependencies. These
dependencies are managed via setuptools and are not distributed with
the Windmill product and as such should not need be a licensing concern.

= Required Resources =

== Mailing lists ==

  * windmill-commits
  * windmill-dev
  * windmill-users

== Subversion Directory ==

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/windmill

== Issue Tracking ==

JIRA Windmill

= Initial Committers =

  * Mikeal Rogers
  * Adam Christian
  * Matthew Eernisse

= Sponsors =

== Champion ==

Ted Leung

== Nominated Mentors ==

  * Ted Leung

Re: [Proposal] Windmill

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
Hi Mikeal,

Excellent answer, thanks very much for the clarification.  I myself have
enjoyed using Selenium in the past, and Windmill sounds like a definite
improvement.  It sounds great - I think it would be a worthwhile Incubator
project.

+1 (non-binding)

Thanks,

Les