Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by John Garmany <ga...@proxitec.com> on 2005/01/05 01:51:41 UTC

Sunbird through Apache WebDav

Hi all, Happy New Year,

  I am having a frustrating time trying to set up webdav to support a
shared sunbird calender on FC2 x86_64.  Httpd has been up for months
without problem.  I followed the instruction here:

http://www.twilight-systems.com/flacco/mozcal/mozcal-webdav-apache2-rh9.html

Everything worked, I created and setup the certificate.  Https:// worked
(I got the FC page secure after accepting the certificate.However, when
I try to get test.txt at the end I get:

You don't have permission to access /webdav/garmanyj/test.txt on this
server.

Here is what I added to my ssl.conf

Alias /webdav/ "/var/www/webdav/"

DavLockDB /tmp/DAVLock
# DAVMinTimeout 600

<Directory /var/www/webdav/>
  DAV on
  AuthType Basic
  AuthName "WebDAV Restricted
  AuthUserFile /etc/httpd/passwd/passwd.dav
</Directory>
#
<Directory /var/www/webdav/<mydirectory>/>
  require user <username>
</Directory>

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

Re: Sunbird through Apache WebDav

Posted by John Locke <ma...@freelock.com>.
Hi, John,

John Garmany wrote:
>  I am having a frustrating time trying to set up webdav to support a
> shared sunbird calender on FC2 x86_64.  Httpd has been up for months
> without problem.  I followed the instruction here:
>
> http://www.twilight-systems.com/flacco/mozcal/mozcal-webdav-apache2-rh9.html
>
> Everything worked, I created and setup the certificate.  Https://
> worked (I got the FC page secure after accepting the
> certificate.However, when I try to get test.txt at the end I get:
>
> You don't have permission to access /webdav/garmanyj/test.txt on this
> server.

What appears to be missing from this section is the access controls, the
block of:

Order deny,allow
Allow from all

By default, Apache is configured to deny access to everyone to the
entire filesystem. It then opens up access for particular directories
(namely the web root). Since you've set up a directory outside the web
root, it presumably has denied access to everyone, in addition to asking
for authentication. Add those two lines to the Webdav directory
container (or Satisfy Any), and it should start working for you.

Cheers,

--
John Locke
"Open Source Solutions for Small Business Problems"

P.S. What happened to the subject tag for this list? Broke my filtering
rules...