Posted to dev@ponymail.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2018/08/05 14:44:14 UTC

Pulse of the project?

Hi all,

I noticed there hasn't been much activity around ponymail as of late.  We
have a report due and lately the reports have been late or barely refined.
Just wondering if there's any pulse on the project to see if there are
maintainers available to work on it?

John

Re: Pulse of the project?

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
On 08/05/2018 04:44 PM, John D. Ament wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I noticed there hasn't been much activity around ponymail as of late.  We
> have a report due and lately the reports have been late or barely refined.
> Just wondering if there's any pulse on the project to see if there are
> maintainers available to work on it?
>
> John

I can count at least three people willing to maintain the project (2 of
which I am completely confident), I am not concerned with discovering
and fixing bad issues, and that _has_ been done in a timely manner over
the course of the project's more or less hiatus-like stage. The general
problem seems to be reporting and management. I made the, now obviously
silly, attempt of stepping back a bit and seeing if anyone else would
help out with the secretarial/managerial part of things, clearly that
did not happen and it's time for me to realize that it was not the best
of moves.

So, ....

Elsewhere, we have a query for one or more people stepping in and
helping, and I intend to say 'thank you, please do'.

We also have some sub-projects (new UI and a all-python port) waiting,
and it is my intention that those projects (which have for now just been
a hobby side-project in a personal repo), get pushed into the official
repo under separate branches so more people can work on them.

Thirdly, I'll step up to the plate and get a report written for this
month, and ask around if others are willing to help out in that area. I
have enough secretarial work on my plate to do this in a consistent
manner, so for me it's important to find someone willing to help out
with the community aspects. We have a ton of users, surely we can
convert some of those into people willing to help out with the project.

With regards,
Daniel.

Re: Pulse of the project?

Posted by Justin Mclean <jm...@apache.org>.
Hi,

John thanks for pinging the project. Next time you mind CCing IPMC as well?

Thanks,
Justin