Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2019/07/15 23:08:22 UTC

CI is back

Hi,

It seems CI is back up :) Great news !

However, there's something odd with the build:
https://ci.apache.org/builders/tomcat-trunk/builds/4485/steps/compile/logs/stdio
It's downloading NSIS 2.51 while it should be using 3.04. CI might be using
some old properties here, right ?

This should actually have failed earlier but before the CI wipe the
existing NSIS download kept being used without checksum.
https://ci.apache.org/builders/tomcat-trunk/builds/4458/steps/compile/logs/stdio
testexist:
     [echo] Testing  for
/home/buildslave/slave/tomcat-trunk/basepath/nsis-2.51/makensis.exe

Rémy

Re: CI is back

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Am 19.07.2019 um 13:20 schrieb Rémy Maucherat:
> On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 12:05 PM Emmanuel Bourg <ebourg@apache.org
> <ma...@apache.org>> wrote:
>
>     Le 16/07/2019 à 10:39, Mark Thomas a écrit :
>      > On July 15, 2019 11:08:22 PM UTC, "Rémy Maucherat"
>     <remm@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>> wrote:
>      >
>      > That is by design. NSIS 3.x wasn't compatible with the version of
>     WINE available on the CI server. That might have changed with the OS
>     upgrade.
>      >
>      > From memory (I only have my phone and a poor internet connection
>     at present) the properties are overridden in the buildbot config
>     file we can edit.
>
>     Is WINE really necessary? NSIS is also available on Linux, if the CI
>     server uses Debian or Ubuntu a package is even available [1].
>

> But we want to build an installer for Windows using it. Does that
> actually work with your Linux package ?

  wondered the same and was surprised to read

"The NSIS compiler can be compiled for POSIX platforms like Linux and
*BSD. Generated installer will still run on Windows only, but this way
they can be generated without Windows or WINE."

on https://nsis.sourceforge.io/Features.

No idea, how this works.

Regards,

Rainer

Re: CI is back

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Le 19/07/2019 à 13:20, Rémy Maucherat a écrit :

> But we want to build an installer for Windows using it. Does that
> actually work with your Linux package ?

Yes it does. At work I build all my NSIS Windows installers from a CI
server running on Debian.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: CI is back

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: CI is back

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Re: CI is back

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Am 19.07.2019 um 13:22 schrieb Rémy Maucherat:
> On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 12:20 PM Rainer Jung <rainer.jung@kippdata.de
> <ma...@kippdata.de>> wrote:
>
>     I have the same problem (Java version needed for TLS based downloads)
>     here for TC 7 and decided to split my build scripts in a download phase
>     using higher Java and the build phase using minimal Java. I think we
>     should use our java.7.home property for the download steps.
>

> I was thinking about splitting off the download phase as well, but this
> requires some work on the CI script.

I just saw there is already a download-deps target, that contains all I
run in front for TC 7. So running "ant download-deps" with Java 7 and
the appropriate ANT_OPTS up front in the CI script is worth trying. For
TC 8.5 just using the ANT_OPTS should work (plus making sure, the CA
cert store is populated correctly).

Regards,

Rainer

Re: CI is back

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: CI is back

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
пт, 19 июл. 2019 г. в 13:20, Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>:

> I have the same problem (Java version needed for TLS based downloads)
> here for TC 7 and decided to split my build scripts in a download phase
> using higher Java and the build phase using minimal Java. I think we
> should use our java.7.home property for the download steps.
>
> For TC 7 I currently run the following targets using Java 7 instead of 6:
>
> ant download-dist
> ant download-validate
> ant download-compile
> ant download-test-compile
> ant download-cobertura
> ant extras-commons-logging-prepare
> ant extras-webservices-prepare
>
> In addition, some time back I decided to set ANT_OPTS which worked
> around any download problems using Java 7. As ANT_OPTS for TC9, TC8.5
> and the Java 7 parts of TC 7 I use:
>
> -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=/path/to/my/cacerts
> -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword=mypass
> -Dhttps.protocols=TLSv1,TLSv1.1,TLSv1.2
>
> and for the Java 6 parts of TC 7 build the last part switches to
>
> -Dhttps.protocols=TLSv1
>
> (not sure that's needed)

Interesting. Thank you for sharing.

> For the above TC 7 download steps, I also add to ANT_OPTS:
>
> -Dno.build.dbcp=true
>
> With that build recent versions worked for me.

I use the following command lines to download dependencies when
verifying releases.
as a separate step that I run with Java 8:

For Tomcat 7:

ant -Dno.build.dbcp=true -Dtest.cobertura=true -Dexecute.validate=true
download-compile,download-test-compile,download-dist,download-validate,download-cobertura,extras-commons-logging-prepare,extras-webservices-prepare

The above can be switched to calling "download-deps" target now. but
-D have to remain.

For Tomcat 8.5:

ant -Dtest.cobertura=true -Dexecute.validate=true
-Dexecute.findbugs=true
download-compile,download-test-compile,download-dist,download-validate,download-cobertura,download-findbugs,extras-webservices-prepare

For Tomcat 9.0:

ant -Dtest.cobertura=true -Dexecute.validate=true
-Dexecute.findbugs=true
download-compile,download-test-compile,download-dist,download-validate,download-cobertura,download-findbugs,download-bnd

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: CI is back

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.

Re: CI is back

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: CI is back

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: CI is back

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On July 16, 2019 7:28:45 PM UTC, "Rémy Maucherat" <re...@apache.org> wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 5:51 PM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On July 16, 2019 1:17:15 PM UTC, "Rémy Maucherat" <re...@apache.org>
>wrote:

><re...@apache.org>

>https://ci.apache.org/builders/tomcat-trunk/builds/4485/steps/compile/logs/stdio
>might
>> >be

>> >WINE
>> >upgrade.

>at
>we
>> >can
>> >>

>> >That doesn't sound too hard but I don't know where that is actually
>> >located
>> >and how to access it :(
>>

>https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/buildbot/aegis/buildmaster/master1/projects/
>>
>> You'll need to authenticate to read or write.
>>

>Thanks, so after quite a few tries, I fixed it.
>
>Next issue is:
>/home/buildslave/slave/tomcat-trunk/build/build.xml:2100: The
>executable
>wine was not found on the current path. Wine is required to build the
>Windows installer when running a release build on a non-Windows
>platform.
>To skip building the Windows installer, set the skip.installer property
>in
>build.properties
>
>I'll add temp code to skip the installer for now since I have no idea
>how
>to install wine.

We need to ask infra to add wine to the list of packages installed on that box. That will need an INFRA jira ticket.

Mark

Re: CI is back

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: CI is back

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: CI is back

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: CI is back

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On July 15, 2019 11:08:22 PM UTC, "Rémy Maucherat" <re...@apache.org> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>It seems CI is back up :) Great news !
>
>However, there's something odd with the build:
>https://ci.apache.org/builders/tomcat-trunk/builds/4485/steps/compile/logs/stdio
>It's downloading NSIS 2.51 while it should be using 3.04. CI might be
>using
>some old properties here, right ?

That is by design. NSIS 3.x wasn't compatible with the version of WINE available on the CI server. That might have changed with the OS upgrade.

From memory (I only have my phone and a poor internet connection  at present) the properties are overridden in the buildbot config file we can edit.

Mark