Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by ne...@ca.ibm.com on 2002/08/01 19:49:25 UTC

Xerces compilation under JDK 1.1.8

Hi folks,

Some time ago, the idea of formally abandoning support for JDK 1.1.8 was
floated.  It didn't go over well:  We got feedback that there are
significant numbers of users who still are dependent on 1.1.8, so
abandoning support for running on that VM isn't an option for now.

But, are there people with hard requirements to be able to *compile* Xerces
under 1.1.8?  There's a proposal under discussion on xerces-j-dev to
introduce some code that would prevent compilation under 1.1.8 but would
still allow Xerces to run there.  If anyone *does* require xerces to be
compilable on this platform, it would be great if they could join the
discussion on xerces-j-dev and give us some insight into their position.

Thanks,
Neil
Neil Graham
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone:  905-413-3519, T/L 969-3519
E-mail:  neilg@ca.ibm.com

Re: Xerces compilation under JDK 1.1.8

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.
neilg@ca.ibm.com wrote:
> under 1.1.8?  There's a proposal under discussion on xerces-j-dev to
> introduce some code that would prevent compilation under 1.1.8 but would

What are you referring to specifically? What code
cannot compile under 1.1.8 but will run there?

--
Andy Clark * andyc@apache.org