Posted to users@continuum.apache.org by Eric D Nielsen <ni...@MIT.EDU> on 2007/10/28 18:56:23 UTC

Dealing with build variables

I'm new to Continuum (and to setting up a CI server in general).

I would have assume this was an FAQ type question, but I don't see in in either
the FAQ or on searching the mailing list archives.

I have some integration tests that I want to run as part of the build
verification process.  These tests have to hit a database.  I've been using
Maven 2 based filtering to inject some properties into the appropriate places.
But, of course, I don't want to check the database username/password into my
SCM.

I'm not sure what the best practice is?  I can sorta imagine something similar
to what I used in Rails/cap deployments of a shared directory across code
checkouts that contains the filter properties, but that doesn't seem to fit
with how Continuum is set up.

I can almost picture using Installations to build up a series of environment
variables with the needed settings, but it doesn't really feel right.

Can anyone offer any advice/steer to me to appropriate documentation?

Thank you

Eric

Re: Dealing with build variables

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 10/28/07, Eric D Nielsen <ni...@mit.edu> wrote:

> I have some integration tests that I want to run as part of the build
> verification process.  These tests have to hit a database.  I've been using
> Maven 2 based filtering to inject some properties into the appropriate places.
> But, of course, I don't want to check the database username/password into my
> SCM.

With Maven, "developer-specific" settings typically go in
settings.xml.  Would adding some properties to the settings.xml file
of the user who is running Continuum work for you?

--
Wendy