Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Vahid S Hashemian <va...@us.ibm.com> on 2017/10/18 23:45:14 UTC

[DISCUSS] KIP-211: Revise Expiration Semantics of Consumer Group Offsets

Hi all,

I created a KIP to address the group offset expiration issue reported in
KAFKA-4682:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-211%3A+Revise+Expiration+Semantics+of+Consumer+Group+Offsets

Your feedback is welcome!

Thanks.
--Vahid

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-211: Revise Expiration Semantics of Consumer Group Offsets

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Please fill out 'Rejected Alternatives' section.

Thanks

Posted by Thomas Becker <Th...@tivo.com>.
I think it would be helpful to clarify what happens if consumers rejoin an empty group. I would presume that the expiration timer is stopped and reset back to offsets.retention.minutes when it is empty again but the KIP doesn't say.

On Wed, 2017-10-18 at 16:45 -0700, Vahid S Hashemian wrote:

Hi all,

I created a KIP to address the group offset expiration issue reported in
KAFKA-4682:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-211%3A+Revise+Expiration+Semantics+of+Consumer+Group+Offsets

Your feedback is welcome!

Thanks.
--Vahid

________________________________

This email and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, copying, or distribution of this email (or any attachments) by others is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and permanently delete this email and any attachments. No employee or agent of TiVo Inc. is authorized to conclude any binding agreement on behalf of TiVo Inc. by email. Binding agreements with TiVo Inc. may only be made by a signed written agreement.

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-211: Revise Expiration Semantics of Consumer Group Offsets

Posted by Vahid S Hashemian <va...@us.ibm.com>.
Thanks Ted. I filled out that section.

--Vahid

From:   Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>
To:     dev@kafka.apache.org
Date:   10/18/2017 04:59 PM
Subject:        Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-211: Revise Expiration Semantics of

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__cwiki.apache.org_confluence_display_KAFKA_KIP-2D&d=DwIBaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=Q_itwloTQj3_xUKl7Nzswo6KE4Nj-kjJc7uSVcviKUc&m=0i84Bei_DsopyUNNA6eNMBJs-jh1sn1QmuX2BI5n-ho&s=BX-muv8ap0SQKaPGDbieXkjyvKQi9x_UOmSCi6B9iec&e=

Posted by Vahid S Hashemian <va...@us.ibm.com>.
Thanks Thomas for the suggestion.
I updated the KIP to explicitly describe that situation.

--Vahid

From:   Thomas Becker <Th...@tivo.com>
To:     "dev@kafka.apache.org" <de...@kafka.apache.org>
Date:   10/19/2017 08:23 AM
Consumer Group Offsets

I think it would be helpful to clarify what happens if consumers rejoin an
empty group. I would presume that the expiration timer is stopped and
reset back to offsets.retention.minutes when it is empty again but the KIP
doesn't say.

On Wed, 2017-10-18 at 16:45 -0700, Vahid S Hashemian wrote:

Hi all,

I created a KIP to address the group offset expiration issue reported in

KAFKA-4682:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__cwiki.apache.org_confluence_display_KAFKA_KIP-2D211-253A-2BRevise-2BExpiration-2BSemantics-2Bof-2BConsumer-2BGroup-2BOffsets&d=DwIGaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=Q_itwloTQj3_xUKl7Nzswo6KE4Nj-kjJc7uSVcviKUc&m=HNIM9pT9V9RRaXQ_lKt45Mj6gj6fJXHEaqDvDmorNAc&s=5Vhe2ljybxYvtGvoE_dw-4DG6jzvRfwYuPukyJbBjCo&e=

Your feedback is welcome!

Thanks.

--Vahid