Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2007/01/08 05:26:53 UTC

Milestone 2 - Its coming :-0

I imagine for most everyone the first week back after the holidays is
a bit tough;  Digging through e-mail, getting back in the groove and
all that stuff.  I trust y'all had a good break and enjoyed some time
doing the things you enjoy.  For us, we hung out at home for the
first time in several years and it was really nice :)

Ok, so back to the item in the subject line which is Milestone 2.
The original timetable that was proposed was to ship the monster on
January 26th which is the last Friday in January.  Working back, we'd
need to branch around the the 19th which leaves a short runway.  I
think the OpenEJB crew indicated that the M2 date was about right so
I was wondering what y'all are thinking at this point.

For other items to get to an EE 5.0 server we have lots of items that
need to be done as well.  Here is a list off the top of my head so
I'd like to get your feedback and let's define what should be flowing
into M2.

EJB 3.0 (as they say for THX...the audience is waiting :)

Web Services related stuff...here is the report card that is on the
Wiki (http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxPMGT/geronimo-java-ee-50-report-
card.html) .  Anyone want to chime in on this?

Deployment (JSR-88) sounds like Tim is working on this based on
recent traffic on the list.

There are also a number of non-spec related tasks that we musn't forget.

TCK - Of course we can't talk about TCK content on the dev list we
can talk about who wants / is working on that.  The long pull for a
lot of this will be getting through the TCK given the number of tests
we have to get through.  Certainly not an M2 goal we should be
starting this soon.  Any takers?

Samples and performance.   Daytrader still needs to get the EJB 3.0
programming model changes in...it already has JPA (thanks Mr.
Jencks).   I'll be spending some time there.

There are lots of Non functional things that we need to work on as
well.  Performance and monitoring, clustering, better messages,
better defaults and good patterns, not to mention tooling and the
like).  There is lots to do, so whose working on what?

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org

Re: Milestone 2 - Its coming :-0

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.
Here's a quick Web Services support update (of things I'm aware of):

1) The StAX and JAXB support has been recently added to Geronimo. This
addresses both Axis2 and CXF deliverables (since both will use the
same implementations of these API).

2) Basic JAX-WS support for POJOs is also working now (using CXF).
However, the  JAX-WS support for EJBs is not implemented yet. That's
something I'm looking into to do next (for M2 hopefully).

Jarek