Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Marco Mistroni <mm...@waersystems.com> on 2004/10/08 13:36:07 UTC

RE: Struts /silly question / ignore

Hello,
	Shame on me :-(
It was enough to extend XAction to get the method that gets the data
And put it into the session..

Sorry all

Regards
	marco

Posted by calandraca <ca...@gmail.com>.
Try this:

<input type="button" onClick="javascript:callSubmit()">

<script language="javascript">
     function callSubmit() {
           frm = document.getElementById("myFrm");
           frm.submit();
     }
</script>

Note that styleId attribute in html:form tag will be rendered as an id
html attribute (see Struts documentation). So you will have a way for
locating the form from javascript since the html node has an
identifier, no matter if the function is called from a button outside
the form. Once into the javascript function you can easily locate the
form and call its submit method. Since you are using DOM
(getElementById), it will run on any standard browser.

Posted by Erik Weber <er...@mindspring.com>.
Sorry, I'm not very good with JavaScript, but could it be that your
function needs a return value? All my JavaScript functions return true
or false, and it seems like I had a problem with a submit function
similar to yours until I put in a return statement.

Erik

Posted by Addy Kapur <ad...@gmail.com>.
I am using the following function to dynamically assign the action
name and then submit the form. I am using <html:submit> tag.

function SubmitForm(action){
        document.forms[0].userAction.value = action;
        document.forms[0].submit();
}

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.
Geeschhhhh!  Wrong again -- I AM.  He does have an <input type='button'>
but it is outside the form and used to submit the form.  REALLY ODD!
Why is he doing that?

Michael McGrady

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.
Heh, Rick,

I think we both misread what this gentleman is doing.  I know I did.  I
missed that the button used to submit the form was outside the form.
Why it is outside is not clear.  But, he said it was.  But, you seem to
have missed that it was being used to submit the form.  An odd
situation.  The original question, now that I reread it was:

i have a struts form and a button outside the form.

on button click , with javascript i need the submit the form

So, I guess he probably means he has <button> and not <input
type='button'> and you and I have just been jabbering at each other.
LOL  Who knows?

Michael McGrady

Posted by Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net>.
Michael McGrady wrote the following on 10/10/2004 10:09 PM:

> I do wonder in this case, however, whether you use buttons or rely on
> the auto-gui, why use "button" rather than "submit", if you want to
> submit?  I might also say, that is what submit buttons are for.  I
> assume, however, that there is a reason to use <input type='button'>
> rather than <input type='submit'> and would like to understand that.  I
> have an old prejudice against JavaScript which may be partly
> irrational.

Actually I'm pretty sure using an html submit button would work as well
for handling onClick events that don't actually submit a form. Using the
html button though seems to make sense though just so that the page
author can see that's it's not actually being used to submit a form.

For example on this last application I worked on one of the requirements
was that the client wanted buttons signify something you can 'do' versus
having html links. So for example maybe you were on a page that
displayed a list of employees and next to each employee there would be a
button "edit employee" - this would be a case where we used html buttons
that had an onClick handler that went to a new url. (there were a few
other buttons also on the page). So for example a line might look like...

<c:url var="url" scope="page" value="/editEmployee.do">
     <c:param name="dispatch" value="setUp"/>
     <c:param name="associateID" value="${associate.associateID}"/>
</c:url>
<input type="button" onClick="goLink('${url}');" value="<fmt:message
key='label.edit'/>

//also may be buttons for "summary" "logs" etc on each row
You really wouldn't want a form to surround the whole employees list
since each button is sumbitting to a totally a different action

You could also use the <button ...> tag. ( I believe you have more html
styling controlling using <button > although I've found <input
type="button" suitable for my needs. )

By the way, a great site for all the HTML and CSS properties:

html http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/tagindex/all.htm
css http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/css/propindex/all.htm

--
Rick

Re: help : submit with javascript problem

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.
Hello, again, Rick,

Thanks for the clarification.  Your posts are always enlightening and
informative.  I mean that.  I am not being sardonic in the slightest.

I have to admit that I don't think they look bad either.  However, they
do greatly restrict the GUI team.  I like my taste but I know that I do
not have the taste of someone with artistic talent, just like my singing
is rather humdrum.  I like my singing too, but no one is going to pay to
hear it for sure.  So, I like to have buttons that allow the GUI team to
do their thing.  I understand you point on that and have absolutely no
dog in that hunt.  I agree that what you do is entirely reasonable.

I do wonder in this case, however, whether you use buttons or rely on
the auto-gui, why use "button" rather than "submit", if you want to
submit?  I might also say, that is what submit buttons are for.  I
assume, however, that there is a reason to use <input type='button'>
rather than <input type='submit'> and would like to understand that.  I
have an old prejudice against JavaScript which may be partly
irrational.  I have learned that some things I can only do with
JavaScript.  And, that has loosened my prejudice a bit.

Michael McGrady

Posted by Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net>.

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.
Hi, RIck,

Posted by Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net>.

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.

Posted by Neil Erdwien <ne...@k-state.edu>.

Posted by Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net>.
You should "VERY RARELY" ever need to call an action from an another
action and never in the case of business logic. If you have stuff you
need to do from more than one action then you should move it out into
some helper class. I often have a UIhelper class that handles dealing
with certain common request/session things that I might need to do.
Actions should be as 'dumb' as possible and handle mostly application flow.

Marco Mistroni wrote the following on 10/8/2004 7:36 AM:
> Hello,
> 	Shame on me :-(
> It was enough to extend XAction to get the method that gets the data
> And put it into the session..
>
> Sorry all
>
> Regards
> 	marco