Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Michael Della Bitta <mi...@appinions.com> on 2012/08/14 22:34:07 UTC

RAMDirectoryFactory bug

Hi everyone,

It looks like I found a bug with RAMDirectoryFactory (I know, I know...)

It doesn't seem to be able to load files off the disk. Everytime it
starts up, it logs:

WARNING: [] Solr index directory 'solr/./data/index' doesn't exist.
Creating new index...

Even if that filesystem path exists and there's a valid index there
(verified by switching back to StandardDirectoryFactory).

I experienced this first on our infrastructure on AWS, but I confirmed
this by downloading the Solr 3.6.1 distribution fresh, indexing the
exampledocs, stopping Jetty and reconfiguring for RAMDirectoryFactory,
and restarting Jetty. The statement above gets logged, but otherwise
the core comes up OK, but empty.

Should I file a bug?

Michael Della Bitta

Appinions | 18 East 41st St., Suite 1806 | New York, NY 10017
www.appinions.com
Where Influence Isn’t a Game

Re: RAMDirectoryFactory bug

Posted by Michael Della Bitta <mi...@appinions.com>.
Yes, moving to mmap was on our roadmap. I'm in the middle of moving
our infrastructure from 1.4 to 3.6.1, and didn't want to make too many
changes at the same time. However, this bug might push us over the
edge to mmap and away from ram.

I'll file a bug regardless.

Thanks!

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Aug 14, 2012, at 4:34 PM, Michael Della Bitta <mi...@appinions.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> It looks like I found a bug with RAMDirectoryFactory (I know, I know...)

Fair warning - RAMDir use in Solr is like a third class citizen. You probably should be using the mmap dir anyway.
See http://blog.thetaphi.de/2012/07/use-lucenes-mmapdirectory-on-64bit.html

> It doesn't seem to be able to load files off the disk. Everytime it
> starts up, it logs:
>
> WARNING: [] Solr index directory 'solr/./data/index' doesn't exist.
> Creating new index...
>
> Even if that filesystem path exists and there's a valid index there
> (verified by switching back to StandardDirectoryFactory).

I think it *should* work how you want, so does sound like a bug perhaps.

> I experienced this first on our infrastructure on AWS, but I confirmed
> this by downloading the Solr 3.6.1 distribution fresh, indexing the
> exampledocs, stopping Jetty and reconfiguring for RAMDirectoryFactory,
> and restarting Jetty. The statement above gets logged, but otherwise
> the core comes up OK, but empty.
>
> Should I file a bug?

Sure.

> Michael Della Bitta

> Appinions | 18 East 41st St., Suite 1806 | New York, NY 10017
> www.appinions.com
> Where Influence Isn’t a Game

- Mark Miller
lucidimagination.com

Re: RAMDirectoryFactory bug

Posted by Michael Della Bitta <mi...@appinions.com>.
Hi, Lance,

Thanks for your reply!

It seems as if RAMDirectoryFactory is being passed the correct path to
the index, as it's being logged correctly. It just doesn't recognize
it as an index.

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.

--
Lance Norskog