Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by adfel70 <ad...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/03 08:33:10 UTC

need help in understating solr cloud stats data

I'm sending all solr stats data to graphite.
I have some questions:
1. query_handler/select requestTime -
if i'm looking at some metric, lets say 75thPcRequestTime - I see that each
core in a single collection has different values.
Is each value of each core is the time that specific core spent on a
request?
so to get an idea of total request time, I should summarize all the values
of all the cores?

2.update_handler/commits - does this include auto_commits? becuaste I'm
pretty sure I'm not doing any manual commits and yet I see a number there.

3. update_handler/docs pending - what does this mean? pending for what? for
flush to disk?

thanks.

Re: need help in understating solr cloud stats data

Posted by David Santamauro <da...@gmail.com>.
Zabbix 2.2 has a jmx client built in as well as a few JVM templates. I
wrote my own templates for my solr instance and monitoring and graphing
is wonderful.

David

Posted by Joel Cohen <jo...@bluefly.com>.
> [...]

> On Feb 3, 2014, at 10:08 AM, Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > You should contribute that and spread the dev load with others :)
> >
> > We need something like that at some point, it's just no one has done it.
> We currently expect you to aggregate in the monitoring layer and it's a lot
> to ask IMO.
> >
> > - Mark
> >
> > http://about.me/markrmiller
> >
> > On Feb 3, 2014, at 10:49 AM, Greg Walters <gr...@answers.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I've had some issues monitoring Solr with the per-core mbeans and ended
> up writing a custom "request handler" that gets loaded then registers
> itself as an mbean. When called it polls all the per-core mbeans then adds
> or averages them where appropriate before returning the requested value.
> I'm not sure if there's a better way to get jvm-wide stats via jmx but it

e joel.cohen@bluefly.com p 212.944.8000 x276
bluefly, inc. 42 w. 39th st. new york, ny 10018
www.bluefly.com <http://www.bluefly.com/?referer=autosig> | *fly since
2013...*

Re: need help in understating solr cloud stats data

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
See:

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToContribute

It outlines how to get the code, how to work with patches, how to set
up IntelliJ and Eclipse IDEs (links near the bottom?). There are
formatting files for both IntelliJ and Eclipse that'll do the right
thing in terms of indents and such.

Legal issues aside, you don't to be very compulsive about cleaning up
the code before posting the first patch! Just let people know you
don't consider it ready to commit. You'll want to open a JIRA to
attach it to. People often put in //nocommit in places they especially
don't like, and the "precommit" ant target takes care of keeping these
from getting into the code.

People are quite happy to see hack, first-cut patches. You'll often
get suggestions on approaches that may be easier and nobody will
complain about "bad code" when they know that _you_ don't consider it
submittable. Google for "Yonik's law of half-baked patches".

One thing that escapes people often... When attaching a patch to a
JIRA, just call it SOLR-####.patch, where #### is the JIRA number.
Successive versions of the patch should have the _same_ name, they'll
all be listed and the newest one will be "live". It's easier to know
what is the right patch that way. No big deal either way.

Best,
Erick

Posted by Greg Walters <gr...@answers.com>.

Posted by "Ramkumar R. Aiyengar" <an...@gmail.com>.
We have had success with starting up Jolokia in the same servlet container
as Solr, and then using its REST/Bulk API to JMX from the application of
choice.

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.
I agree that sorting and filtering stats in Solr is not a good idea. There is certainly some use in aggregation, though. One request to /admin/mbeans replaces about 50 JMX requests.

Is anybody working on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-4735?

wunder

On Feb 4, 2014, at 8:13 AM, Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +101 for more stats.  Was just saying that trying to pre-aggregate them
> along multiple dimensions is probably best left out of Solr.
>
> Otis
>

> On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 10:49 AM, Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think that is silly. We can still offer per shard stats *and* let a user
>> easily see stats for a collection without requiring they jump hoops or use
>> a specific monitoring solution where someone else has already jumped hoops
>> for them.
>>
>> You don't have to guess what ops people really want - *everyone* wants
>> stats that make sense for the collections and cluster on top of the per
>> shard stats. *Everyone* wouldn't mind seeing these without having to setup
>> a monitoring solution first.
>>
>> If you want more than that, then you can fiddle with your monitoring
>> solution.
>>
>> - Mark
>>
>> http://about.me/markrmiller
>>
>> On Feb 3, 2014, at 11:10 PM, Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Oh, I just saw Greg's email on dev@ about this.
>>> IMHO aggregating in the search engine is not the way to do.  Leave that
>>> external tools, which are likely to be more flexible when it comes to
>> this.
>>> For example, our SPM for Solr can do all kinds of aggregations and
>>> filtering by a number of Solr and SolrCloud-specific dimensions already,
>>> without Solr having to do any sort of aggregation that it thinks Ops
>> people
>>> will really want.
>>>
>>> Otis
>>> --
>>> Performance Monitoring * Log Analytics * Search Analytics
>>> Solr & Elasticsearch Support * http://sematext.com/

>> lot

>> adds
>> it

>> I'm

>> what?

Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org

Re: need help in understating solr cloud stats data

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Hi,