Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2013/08/29 23:40:06 UTC

javadoc generating conventions

We have our multi-module builds set up so that

a) Javadocs are run just for the publicly-viewable apis
b) not run for individual sub-modules (e.g., not for uimaj-core).

Many releases ago, we did not even publish modules (other than maven plugins) to
maven-central - we just did binary convenience builds, and source releases,
published to the Apache Mirroring system.

Gradually, (as of uimaj release 2.3.1) we conformed more to the Maven normal
conventions, and we started making our individual projects available on maven
central, although without javadocs.

We could "turn on" javadoc creation for individual modules (probably only under
the -Papache-release profile, to make development builds go faster).  I think
these would (by default - need to investigate) be "full" javadocs.

Richard suggests we do this, I'm +0 on this (not convinced that the Javadocs are
of actual interest to anyone, and they take up space -- but I guess that's
old-fashioned thinking :-)).

Other opinions?

-Marshall

Re: javadoc generating conventions

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
I also can't log in - I think the login is for the admins only.

Re set-up:  I found this:

You might try making a similar Jira, but I would also suggest saying something
about not finding any links to the correct process to get set up...  That should
be fixed...

-Marshall

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
> Sigh. You are right.
>
> I wonder why Maven so effectively defies doing anything even remotely
> sensible or creative with profile activation.
>
> - Profiles cannot activate other profiles by any command.
> - Profiles cannot declare properties that trigger other profiles.
> - Profiles *can* be activated by properties with certain values and by property name
> - If there are is a profile activated by prop + value and one activated by prop-only,
>   the latter wins no matter what value the property has (or if any at all).
>
> So there is effectively no way to have one profile activated under multiple
> property- or profile- controlled conditions… argh.

I think there's actually a reason - an "intention" about this in the Maven design.
One of the things that drove the creation of Maven was the very wide variety and
complexity of Ant script based builds.    In reaction to the difficulties that
arose in long-term maintaining of these, Maven is trying to create manageable
builds around a few principles.  I think these are basically 2 ideas:

1) convention over configuration
2) making bigger reusable units (maven plugins) and making it "harder" to stray
off into programming complex / hard-to-maintain etc. build systems.

For those more complex things, they want you to think hard about what it is
you're doing and then to write down the complex stuff using a programming
language (Java) and package it up into a reusable component (a maven plugin).
They really don't want to support more complex logic in their builds - its
complicated enough as it is :-).

-Marshall

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
Sigh. You are right.