Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/01 02:06:32 UTC

Re: How-to implement Code Quality Analysis on multiple Maven Projects?

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 10:53 PM, ifsNabble
<ra...@bertelsmann.de> wrote:

> Hi Freddy,
>
> thanks for the hint.
> But fortunately we don´t use Checkstyle.
>
> By the way: with this plugin we are able to the stuff we want.
> My colleague tested it and it worked.

Can you supply detailed steps to educate future mailing list searches
with similar problems.

Cheers

Re: How-to implement Code Quality Analysis on multiple Maven Projects?

Posted by Freddy Mallet <fr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Christian and Barrie,

FYI, I've just deployed on Nemo (http://nemo.sonarsource.org) a Sonar Views
plugin in a Beta version (this will be a commercial SonarSource plugin).
This plugin allows to create any kind of aggregation of technical Maven
projects. For instance you can group projects by application, applications
by team, teams by service, etc ...

I've created three views on Nemo (
http://nemo.sonarsource.org/plugins/home/views) and one of them is the
"Forges" view where all projects are grouped by forge (Apache, Codehaus,
SourceForge, ...).

On the dashboard of the "Forges" view (
http://nemo.sonarsource.org/project/index/Forges), you can see that there
are 7 795 000 physical lines under quality control, 64 842 unit tests, unit
tests require 5h11mn to be executed, etc. All classical Sonar services keep
on working on this view : TimeMachine, Violations drilldown, Hotspots, etc.

This is currently the ultimate solution to manage big aggregation trees with
hundreds of Maven projects.

regards,
Freddy

Freddy Mallet
www.SonarSource.com
Sonar.codehaus.org
http://twitter.com/FreddyMallet

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 4:05 PM, Christian Breuer <cy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> <plugin>
>              <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
>              <artifactId>build-helper-maven-plugin</artifactId>
>              <version>1.1</version>
>              <executions>
>                <execution>
>                  <id>add-source</id>
>                  <phase>generate-sources</phase>
>                  <goals>
>                      <goal>add-source</goal>
>                  </goals>
>                  <configuration>
>                      <sources>
>                          <source>[YOUR SOURCE DIRECTORY 2]</source>
>                          <source>[YOUR SOURCE DIRECTORY 3]</source>
>                      </sources>
>                  </configuration>
>                </execution>
>              </executions>
>           </plugin>
>
> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/SONAR/Collect+data#Collectdata-NonMavenprojects%28sonarlightmode%29
>
> best regards

Wunderful

Thanks.

Re: How-to implement Code Quality Analysis on multiple Maven Projects?

Posted by Christian Breuer <cy...@gmail.com>.
<plugin>
              <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
              <artifactId>build-helper-maven-plugin</artifactId>
              <version>1.1</version>
              <executions>
                <execution>
                  <id>add-source</id>
                  <phase>generate-sources</phase>
                  <goals>
                      <goal>add-source</goal>
                  </goals>
                  <configuration>
                      <sources>
                          <source>[YOUR SOURCE DIRECTORY 2]</source>
                          <source>[YOUR SOURCE DIRECTORY 3]</source>
                      </sources>
                  </configuration>
                </execution>
              </executions>
           </plugin>

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/SONAR/Collect+data#Collectdata-NonMavenprojects%28sonarlightmode%29

best regards
Christian

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ifsNabble <ra...@bertelsmann.de>.
Of course! Here´s the solution we found for our problem:

As described we have the structure

/trunk/projectA/pom.xml
/trunk/projectAB/pom.xml
/trunk/project.../pom.xml
/trunk/projectZ/pom.xml

That makes us able to put a pom.xml in the highest hierarchy folder
(/trunk/pom.xml).
This pom.xml uses the maven-build-helper-plugin where you can specify
additional source folders.
And due to the fact that we´re on top of folder hierarchy we can use the
subfolders ("/project.../src/main/java") and create in that way a virtual
project with many many source folders.

The metrics we use work. we are now able to compute complexity of code or
inheritance and so on.
We now found out that we have about 860000 lines of code!

But some thing are still not possible: running JUnit tests for JUnit reports
or code coverage isn´t possible, because of the huge amount of test classes
we have. This would blow up our build server - or would last some weeks.

I hope you have an idea how it works.
Cheers