Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Masahi Nakane <na...@ebpass.com> on 2005/12/24 18:08:09 UTC

Groups and Roles,users and Hierarchy

 Hello guys,

 I  read   around
http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/multiproject/jetspeed-security/index.ht
ml

But ,difficult for me.  Is there any simple code and easy way to understand
about Hierarchy
Management?

 I have jetspeed2 demo site and sources with tomcat 5.0.

  And I have 2 users   bob and john.
  Bob is  boss of john's

  Each user can insert a data into  customer list table( my original table)
  and the customer data  is assigned to the user who inserted.
  Say,   John and Bob can insert customer data but
  Bob can see both of data(John's and Bob's ) but John can see his own only
  because of the Hierarchy. Boss can see the staff's data, not vice versa.

  Now , I want to know exactly how to make Hierarchy and make it related to
user
  with Jetspeed2 or Jetspeed2 demo.
  And I need to get the role infomation by some method of some object when
each user log in
  and see the customer list which page is visible for loggedin users.
  I think this is not about profiler because the page of customer list is
visible to both users.
  This is about just hierachy. I need method something like this

  public boolean isThisDataAvailableForThisUser( User dataowner ,User
loginuser  )

  And What is the difference between groups and roles?
  Both can be related to users and can have hierachy right?

  Thanks in Advance.

 Masashi

Masashi Nakane
Chief Application Engineer
EBPass, Inc.
55 Broad St., 11th Floor, New York, NY 10004, USA
(Office) 212-487-9070
(Fax) 212-202-5067

nakane@ebpass.com
www.ebpass.com

RE: Groups and Roles,users and Hierarchy

Posted by "Masashi Nakane@EBPass" <na...@ebpass.com>.
Thanks for replying very much ,Randy

>1. Roles and groups are not hierarchical.

Oh, really?
I thought  the below url   page said
that  the j2 default authorization implemented  Hierarchy roles or groups.
http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/multiproject/jetspeed-security/hierarch
y.html
And If I register some hierarchical roles or groups with  Preference  api or
something ,
then I can get answer about authorization api . No?
Or Do you mean j2-admin demo doesn't implement it by that.
If so , I can create my admin portlets . Otherwise , I got to go to JIRA.

>As it is now, the permissions"hierarchy" must be managed explicitly
> in the security constraints.

Yeah , security constraints with directory structure ,  I understand.

>2. Roles and Groups are parallel symmetric implementations.

OK, that is what i thinnk of  as well.

>3. For data accessibility within the portlet, I'd suggest looking at the
>isUserInRole() API that is part of the JSR-168 specification.
>In the end, you may have to come up with your own custom strategy.
>Please search the user list archives... user/role/group
>authorization/authentication is a common and multi-faceted topic!

 Thanks, I will try and post if I got any update.

 Masashi

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
Masashi: