Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Doss Markus <Ma...@rhein-zeitung.net> on 2004/01/28 08:50:51 UTC

Transporting xml-content in Strings

Hi,

we using axis to transport xml files between server and client. We
transfer the content of  xml-files as strings instead of using
attachments (due vb-dotnet problems with the java generated
attachments). Now, if we send xml-content with the services (content is
UTF-8 codes and contains german umlauts) and write the content on the
client to files, we can not read the resulting xml-files on client side
with jdom.

If we transport strings with german umlauts, it works fine on client
side. Also it works, if we code the xml-content as byte-array and write
it to file on client side.

So what's wrong with strings which contains xml-content. Should we use
different encodings or code it base64 ?

Thanks
Markus

soap with attachments for sending images

Posted by bethana kumar <be...@yahoo.com>.
Hi
   I have a requirement .....we have to develop  a webservice ....

1)Client will send SOAP/HTTP request for imge(s).
2)We have to serve the corresponding image through SOAP/HTTP.

Now the design issues...
------------------------

I have two types of solutions...

Type-1
-------
1)Storing images in  Database  as a BLOB.
2)Extract the image(s )  and send it over SOAP/HTTP

Type-2
-------
1) Store the images on the hard disk with a predefined path and format, and store the reference (access path) in the Oracle   database.

2)Get the relative path and get image and send it over SOAP/HTTP.

could u please tell me which one is better interms of performance  and scalability.We are using J2EE/J2SE/AXIS and Tomcat.

what advantages do we  expect to get by serving the images using SOAP over HTTP instead of serving the images using just HTTP?

Thanks
Shanta.B