Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Nick Rosser <nr...@solveda.com> on 2014/02/05 14:40:53 UTC

OFBiz.org site: easier navigation to Service Providers and End Users

All,

Whenever I look at pretty much anything these days I look for a
"clients" link to see who is using a product or service.

If I'm looking to use a piece of software and review at the vendor's
site I will often look to see who are the partners (integrators) are --
as a client I would be looking for some comfort level that the product
or service will well supported.

For OFBiz this is hidden under the "documentation" tab, at the bottom of
that page, in small font and labelled "Users of Apache OFBiz".and
"Apache OFBiz Service Providers". Documentation to me is just that, a
list of user and technical documentation, white papers etc.

Could these two links to main navigation bar? I would suggest that the
main navigation is:

Download
Community
Service Providers
Who is using OFBiz?
Documentation

Nick

Re: OFBiz.org site: easier navigation to Service Providers and End Users

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
I would say that not complying with/to ASF regulations and guidelines is a
sure path to lose merit in the community.

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*
Services & Solutions for Cloud-
Based Manufacturing, Professional
Services and Retail & Trade
http://www.orrtiz.com

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
add me to the +1 list.

we are currently re-implementing the ofbiz.info website which has a
provider map and user map and is available at our staging server:
http://ofbizinfo.ofbizdemo.com/control/providers
http://ofbizinfo.ofbizdemo.com/control/users

we will get back online in a couple of weeks....

Regards,
Hans

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
If a veto is justified, a commiter can do it:
https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#Veto
This section speak about code, it can be generalised to any document a
committer has to commit.

But I think we should rather try to find a consensus...

In the past we decided to remove direct links to major contributing
companies from the site main page because it was unfair for other
companies. But I see no problems linking those 2 pages if they respect
the Apache way (intentionally vague since I don't know if there are
issues yet as Jacopo mentionned)

Jacques

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Ted Byers <r....@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 11:36 AM, Nick Rosser <nr...@solveda.com> wrote:

> OK, some interesting points being made. Although I truly believe that for
> a bet-your-business solution like OFBiz having a list of users and service
> providers is much more important than for "technical" based projects. It
> certainly would be for me.
>
> Pierre established that some of the other projects do have links to this
> type of info -- and made some good points about being in favor of this type
> of change.
>
> Given that there are 3 in favor (me, Pierre, Jacques), 1 against (Jacopo)
> and 1 neutral (Christian) -- what is the procedure for making a decision on
> this change?
>
> Anyone else in the community have any additional thoughts?
>
> I too would agree this is a good idea.  I am more likely to use a product
that is widely used, especially for this kind of product.  Who in his right
mind would bet his key business processes on a product like this if it is
not widely used?  But, contrary to what is suggested above, I apply that
consideration to all products, including especially primarily technical
products (e.g. number crunching libraries, compilers, &c.).  I am wary of
using a product that is used only by the developer, or team thereof, that
developed it.

If this can be provided on the website you're discussing, great.  If there
is some kind of administrative problem with doing that, then perhaps
someone can take the bull by the horns as it were and create a site that
provides it, and takes responsibility to add a link to it in, e.g. a sig to
all his/her email sent to this list.  The bottom line, here, is that it
ought no tbe necessary to resort to google just to find out who is using
OFBiz, how many such users there are, and who are the service providers who
help businesses use it.

Cheers

Ted

--
R.E.(Ted) Byers, Ph.D.,Ed.D.
TED@MERCHANTSERVICECORP.COM

Re: OFBiz.org site: easier navigation to Service Providers and End Users

Posted by Nick Rosser <nr...@solveda.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Jacques is correct when saying 'it's a kind of marketing of OFBiz' when he
talks about the images at the top of the home page of the OFBiz site. This
holds equally true for referring to users and OFBiz integrators on the
homepage. In stead of burying links to sites of users (let's face it: these
are businesses) and system integrators/implementers deep in some wiki page,
the higher these are ranked in the site (closer to the home page) the
better it is for the site.

Several subject matter sites regarding the topic of outbound linking state
that outbound linking has a positive effect for the site that provides the
links. And in this case of the OFBiz project it will lead to higher ranking
when persons search for any of the keywords in the homepage. Thus leading
to more traffic to the site, and hopefully a bigger community.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
First of all, everything published on a publication means of the Foundation
(regardless whether this is an 'official' site, a wiki or a mailing list)
is in line with the principles of the ASF. If not, actions will be
undertaken. By the ASF.
Nowhere in the documents of the ASF it is stated that when a site is in a
bad state (a mess as it has been called) it may not be linked.

As for contributing and calling yourself a contributor, the term
contributor is official in the ASF documents and when persons provide
comments, document enhancements or even participate in discussions they are
contributing to the project. Again without any remark about the quality of
the contribution, only that the contributions are improvements.

What I read in the lines of Jacopo is veto. What I don't read is: 'I have
my opinion about how it should be, but I am for finding a consensus to get
this issue resolved'. And that is a pity. Because no matter what a project
has as output or where its community wants it to go, according to the ASF
it should always be 'Community over Code'. And so should this project be.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Those were provided by HWM (Hotwax Media) when they overhauled the look
of the site with Brainfood.
I personally see no issues there because even if you can barely read the
site names, there are no links and the images were only provided as
examples. They could be replaced but sincerely it's a moot point. If you
are not aware of the history you hardly can know who build these sites
and you can't directly link to them.

To me it's kind of marketing for OFBiz, not for sites builders. We could
put more images (form other sites builders) or update/replace currents
ones, size: 513x202 32 bits/pixel

Jacques

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Which websites are you seeing there? In the carousel?

Jacques

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I like Jacopo's answer!

Jacques

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Inline
Le 20/02/2014 11:14, Paul Piper a écrit :
> Perhaps in order to add my own 2 cents to this debate:
>
> The way I see it, OFbiz is need for the carousel images, although they
> should be updated. Rereading the content, i noticed that the information do
> not really stand for much, and though they are eye-pleasing I highly doubt
> that they are being read. What we would need is a set of actual messages we
> want to stand for. Topics could be:
>
> 1. Open Source - Strong Community
> 2. Full Business Solution
> 3. Flexible ERP Framework
> 4. Feature-Rich eCommerce used by many
>
> The images and messages should add to that. Currently, there is only
> eCommerce stores represented, though by the above topics only 1 of them
> should even feature stores (or brand-logos to give more the feel of the 250+
> implementation we currently got). The others should rather feature a source
> code sample (open-source),  versatile business applications and how easily
> one can connect OFBiz with other systems.

This sounds like a start for a brainstorming about what should be in
this carousel...

Jacques

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Feb 24, 2014, at 12:12 PM, Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> wrote:

> Questions:
> The "Apache OFBiz Service Providers"https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Apache+OFBiz+Service+Providers will be removed, right?

We can leave the page there; at least until we are happy with the new one (or even after).

> Should we (PMC) not first review the current descriptions and reuse them if possible?

I would prefer to start from scratch with the new process and wait for company proposals; in the meantime the current page will still be usable as is now.

Jacopo

Re: OFBiz.org site: easier navigation to Service Providers and End Users

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Feb 24, 2014, at 12:12 PM, Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> wrote:

> What about the "Apache OFBiz User List" page, notably the "Products and Projects based on Apache OFBiz" section?

We could apply a similar pattern to the one we are discussing for the "service provider" list.

Jacopo

Re: OFBiz.org site: easier navigation to Service Providers and End Users

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Jacopo,

This seems indeed the better way to go for service providers. I agree also about the better template sent afterwards.

The reasons I agree:
* It would be now companies responsibility for supplied information
* The PMC can check and guarantee the quality and veracity of supplied information

If others agree, we need now to define the maximum number of characters allowed for companies description

Questions:
The "Apache OFBiz Service Providers" https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Apache+OFBiz+Service+Providers will be removed, right?
Should we (PMC) not first review the current descriptions and reuse them if possible? On the other hand, deleting the page and beginning anew could
have some advantages. Mostly removing deprecated/not-maintained information and no have the responsibility of the companies description contents if we
have to adapt them (like having to change it because of length, content, etc.)

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Feb 24, 2014, at 1:29 PM, Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So leaving that and similar regarding PMC and Contributors out
> of the company description would serve the 'unbiased' aspect of the project
> better.

I definitely agree that the fact that a company has employees that are committers in the project should not be relevant for the decision by the PMC to include it (or not) in the page; however I would leave it to the company to decide what content to include in its description (possibly mentioning a committer or not) based on company's strategy.

Jacopo

Re: OFBiz.org site: easier navigation to Service Providers and End Users

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Feb 24, 2014, at 1:29 PM, Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Furthermore, I would suggest to include the disclaimer (at least at the
> top) regarding the aspect of not endorsing/favouring any company

+1

Jacopo

Re: OFBiz.org site: easier navigation to Service Providers and End Users

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jacopo,

I like the outline of the proposed policy description and solution (the
page).

However, I do have to remark that companies can't be committers as per ASF
regulations. So leaving that and similar regarding PMC and Contributors out
of the company description would serve the 'unbiased' aspect of the project
better.

Furthermore, I would suggest to include the disclaimer (at least at the
top) regarding the aspect of not endorsing/favouring any company as per
your earlier posting in this thread.
Starting from a blank page would surely have a cleansing effect.

Lastly, thanks for taking the time to address this issue swiftly.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
A slightly better template for the page: now it is clearly stated that the list is sorted by alphabetical order and not relevance.

*Commercial Support And Consulting*

These companies provide professional services around Apache OFBiz (sorted by alphabetical order)

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
The reply by Jacopo definitely reads more like trying to conceive consensus.

Maybe it would be good to contact the PMC chairs of the other project (and
perhaps also COMDEV) to see what their policy is on this subject) and
achieve alignment regarding ruling.

Regards,

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*
Services & Solutions for Cloud-
Based Manufacturing, Professional
Services and Retail & Trade
http://www.orrtiz.com

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 10:20 AM, Jacopo Cappellato <

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Not only those, but also:

   - any23
   - APR
   - Cassandra

Posted by Nick Rosser <nr...@solveda.com>.
Three Apache project examples that have "service provider" page:

Clearly lists "paid support" options, with links to integrators:
http://cayenne.apache.org/support.html

Link from main page to "Professional Services":
http://cocoon.apache.org/1271_1_1.html

This lists committers and contributors with a link to the organization:
http://accumulo.apache.org/people.html

Nick

Posted by Nick Rosser <nr...@solveda.com>.
I didn't do an exhaustive search but the Active-MQ project has a link to
"users":

    http://activemq.apache.org/users.html

This is an "internal" doc -- not an external link.

Note that they also have a "Team" link which lists all active Committers
and Contributors.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Inline...

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Nick Rosser <nr...@solveda.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 18/02/2014 10:54, Jacopo Cappellato a écrit :
> On Feb 17, 2014, at 3:40 PM, Nick Rosser <nr...@solveda.com> wrote:
>
>> So what's the final word on this?
>>
>> Seems like we have mostly "yeahs" for this change.
> This doesn't seem an accurate summary of the feedback received: Jacques and Pierre expressed a positive feedback; Christian seems neutral; I am against; no one else expressed an opinion yet.
> It is really too early to come up to such a conclusion.
I did not express a positive feedback, I simply noted that Nick was
right about not being a load issue. So basically I'm still neutral.
>> Can we get it done?
> I understand that companies are interested in getting free marketing (SEO etc..) from independent and authoritative sources like the official OFBiz site and the ASF in general, and this adds some pressure on the OFBiz PMC and project. However, as I already stated, I will be against any changes, e.g., adding a link on the "top menu", that may convey the impression that the project officially supports or even approves any content on which there is no control, e.g., the content of wiki documents.
I don't agree  that we (PMC) have no control on the wiki. I monitor any
change on Confluence and when I disagree I react.
> Specifically, the links you want to add in the top menu point to the following documents:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Apache+OFBiz+Service+Providers
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Apache+OFBiz+User+List
>
> for which there is no control or rules on who, what and how information can be published, and there are links that potentially violate the trademarks policy  of OFBIZ and ASF.
> After a cursory review of the content of these documents I would be even tempted to propose the removal of the links from the documentation page, rather than adding them to the top menu (and I am a bit surprised to see that a PMC member may be in favor of adding them there).

Please could you point the issues you see there? I believe we should

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Nick Rosser <nr...@solveda.com>.
So what's the final word on this?

Seems like we have mostly "yeahs" for this change. Can we get it done?

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I think you have a point Nick,

Posted by Nick Rosser <nr...@solveda.com>.
Pierre: "attract some more participation" -- exactly.

I did see a response about the original change to omit these from the
home page - I can't imagine that we have enough traffic to stress any
server.

If there is general agreement who can make the change?

On 2/7/2014 3:53 AM, Pierre Smits wrote:
> I agree with the above.
>
> Not only will it deliver on the marketing aspect, but it might also attract
> some more participation.
>
> Regards,
>
> Pierre Smits
>
> *ORRTIZ.COM<http://ORRTIZ.COM>*
> Services&  Solutions for Cloud-
> Based Manufacturing, Professional
> Services and Retail&  Trade
> http://www.orrtiz.com
>

> On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 12:37 PM, Jacques Le Roux<
> jacques.le.roux@les7arts.com>  wrote:
>
>> That sounds a good marketing idea to me
>>
>> This was a bit like that before,
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=925066
>> But has been moved down because of conflicting opinions. I don't remember
>> clearly...
>>
>> What are others opinions?
>>
>> Jacques
>>
>> On Wednesday, February 05, 2014 2:40 PM, nrosser@solveda.com wrote
>>> All,
>>>
>>> Whenever I look at pretty much anything these days I look for a
>>> "clients" link to see who is using a product or service.
>>>
>>> If I'm looking to use a piece of software and review at the vendor's
>>> site I will often look to see who are the partners (integrators) are --
>>> as a client I would be looking for some comfort level that the product
>>> or service will well supported.
>>>
>>> For OFBiz this is hidden under the "documentation" tab, at the bottom of
>>> that page, in small font and labelled "Users of Apache OFBiz".and
>>> "Apache OFBiz Service Providers". Documentation to me is just that, a
>>> list of user and technical documentation, white papers etc.
>>>
>>> Could these two links to main navigation bar? I would suggest that the
>>> main navigation is:

>>> Download

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
I agree with the above.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.
Am 05.02.2014 14:40, schrieb Nick Rosser:
> All,
>
> Whenever I look at pretty much anything these days I look for a
> "clients" link to see who is using a product or service.
>
> If I'm looking to use a piece of software and review at the vendor's
> site I will often look to see who are the partners (integrators) are --
> as a client I would be looking for some comfort level that the product
> or service will well supported.
>
> For OFBiz this is hidden under the "documentation" tab, at the bottom of
> that page, in small font and labelled "Users of Apache OFBiz".and
> "Apache OFBiz Service Providers". Documentation to me is just that, a
> list of user and technical documentation, white papers etc.
>
> Could these two links to main navigation bar? I would suggest that the
> main navigation is:

I absolutely agree with you but if I remember correctly the links were
removed because there shouldn't be any links from the homepage to the
Wiki because this could cause too much traffic for the Wiki...

Ah yes: http://markmail.org/thread/fejr5olvi6ggq53h

I don't know if this is really is a problem - we could ask Infra or move
parts of the Wiki to the CMS

Christian