Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Christian Jurado <cj...@jhu.edu> on 2012/03/15 21:58:25 UTC

Trinidad Chart

Hello,

  I'm working on a portlet using MyFaces and Trinidad.  I have successfully
created a working hello world portlet using:

MyFaces 2.0

PortletBridge 3.0

Trinidad 2.0

The environment is

Liferay 6.0.6 running on Tomcat 6.0.29

The portlet installs and runs fine, displaying a simple outputText control,
but the Trinidad Chart control doesn't display.  The value is set to a
backing bean that is being instantiated (debug statement in the constructor
outputs)  but no graphical display.

My faces-config.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<faces-config xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee"

http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee/web-facesconfig_1_2.xsd"

      version="1.2">

      <managed-bean>

            <managed-bean-name>chartBacking</managed-bean-name>

<managed-bean-class>com.jhu.cvrg.portal.dashboard.backing.ChartBacking</mana
ged-bean-class>

            <managed-bean-scope>request</managed-bean-scope>

      </managed-bean>

      <application>

<default-render-kit-id>org.apache.myfaces.trinidad.core</default-render-kit-
id>

      </application>

</faces-config>

My Trinidad-config.xml

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<trinidad-config xmlns="http://myfaces.apache.org/trinidad/config">

  <!-- Enable debug output -->

  <debug-output>true</debug-output>

</trinidad-config>

My view.xhtml:

<f:view

      xmlns:c="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core"

      xmlns:f="http://java.sun.com/jsf/core"

      xmlns:h="http://java.sun.com/jsf/html"

      xmlns:ui="http://java.sun.com/jsf/facelets"

      xmlns:tr="http://myfaces.apache.org/trinidad"

      xmlns:trh="http://myfaces.apache.org/trinidad/html">

      <trh:head />

      <trh:body>

                  <h:outputText value="BOOYAH!"/>

value="#{chartBacking.chartModel}" type="line"/>

      </trh:body>

</f:view>

My web.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<web-app xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"

      xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee"
xmlns:web="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee/web-app_2_5.xsd"

      version="2.4">

      <servlet>

            <servlet-name>faces</servlet-name>

            <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>

      </servlet>

      <servlet-mapping>

            <servlet-name>faces</servlet-name>

            <url-pattern>/faces/*</url-pattern>

      </servlet-mapping>

      <servlet>

            <servlet-name>resources</servlet-name>

<servlet-class>org.apache.myfaces.trinidad.webapp.ResourceServlet</servlet-c
lass>

      </servlet>

      <!-- This cannot be configured currently -->

      <servlet-mapping>

            <servlet-name>resources</servlet-name>

            <url-pattern>/adf/*</url-pattern>

      </servlet-mapping>

      <context-param>

            <param-name>javax.faces.STATE_SAVING_METHOD</param-name>

            <param-value>client</param-value>

      </context-param>

      <context-param>

<param-name>org.apache.myfaces.trinidad.ALTERNATE_VIEW_HANDLER</param-name>

            <!-- TrinidadFaceletViewHander must be the alternate view
handler if SessionChangeManager

                  is used -->

<param-value>org.apache.myfaces.trinidadinternal.facelets.TrinidadFaceletVie
wHandler</param-value>

      </context-param>

      <context-param>

            <!--Unfortunately, Facelets provides no hook for plugging the
PageResolver

                  into the logic handling "facelets.VIEW_MAPPINGS". You
should leave "facelets.VIEW_MAPPINGS"

                  unset and use
"org.apache.myfaces.trinidad.FACELETS_VIEW_MAPPINGS" instead. -->

<param-name>org.apache.myfaces.trinidad.FACELETS_VIEW_MAPPINGS</param-name>

            <param-value>*.xhtml</param-value>

      </context-param>

      <!--  More Trinidad Configuration -->

      <context-param>

<param-name>org.apache.myfaces.trinidad.security.FRAME_BUSTING</param-name>

            <param-value>never</param-value>

      </context-param>

      <context-param>

<param-name>org.apache.myfaces.trinidad.util.ExternalContextUtils.isPortlet<
/param-name>

            <param-value>true</param-value>

      </context-param>

      <filter>

            <filter-name>trinidad</filter-name>

<filter-class>org.apache.myfaces.trinidad.webapp.TrinidadFilter</filter-clas
s>

      </filter>

      <filter-mapping>

            <filter-name>trinidad</filter-name>

            <!-- This assumes that the FacesServlet has been registered -->

            <!-- under the name "faces" -->

            <servlet-name>faces</servlet-name>

      </filter-mapping>

      <listener>

<listener-class>org.apache.myfaces.webapp.StartupServletContextListener</lis
tener-class>

      </listener>

</web-app>

I'm getting no errors of any kind, yet all I see in the portlet view is the
value of the h:outputText, and the debug statement in my backing bean
outputs, so at least I know everything else is working.

Any ideas?

Chris

RE: Trinidad Chart

Posted by Christian Jurado <cj...@jhu.edu>.
Hey Scott, thanks for the ideas.  I'll look into the user agent question.  I
haven't tried the portlet in a stand-alone, but that's one of my upcoming
steps.

Chris

Posted by Christian Jurado <cj...@jhu.edu>.
Hey Blake,

  I'm only seeing it in the page source.  Thanks for the heads up. I looked
at it in the standalone app and even though it works great, I do still see
the noscript tags in the page source.

Thanks,

Chris

Posted by Blake Sullivan <bl...@oracle.com>.

RE: Trinidad Chart

Posted by Christian Jurado <cj...@jhu.edu>.
Hey Scott,

  Just thought I'd pass you an update.  I think the problem is in the
component's ability to access the resources.  When I copy some of the
JavaScript files out of the .jar and put them in the application's folder,
and configure Liferay to point to them, I'm starting to see progress.  In
the page elements I'm not getting the embedded chart and can see the license
info.  The chart itself doesn't display yet but there's now a lot more in
the page source than there was, so presumably there are still resources it
can't get at.  I do have the resource servlet configured per the
instructions in the Trinidad wiki, so I'm not sure what exactly the problem
is.

Just for giggles, I took a PrimeFaces chart and was working with it, and I
got it to display by using this same approach.  It seems the resource
servlet in PrimeFaces is also being blocked somehow by Liferay.  I guess at
this point the trick is to see how the PortletFaces guys are making the
ICEFaces resources available and see if I can apply that approach to this.

Chris

Posted by Christian Jurado <cj...@jhu.edu>.
Ah, good thanks for that.  I haven't heard anything back from the
PortletFaces Bridge folks yet but I've been fiddling with it on my own
without any success so far.

As I have it configured currently, it's a facelets project.  Do you know of
any problems known to arise from that?  I could revert back to a more
conventional JSP style view page but again, I'd rather not if I can avoid
it.

Re: Trinidad Chart

RE: Trinidad Chart

Re: Trinidad Chart