Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by mi...@collegenet.com on 2001/10/03 23:42:35 UTC

What hapened to AxKit.com?

I finally convinced some of my colleagues
to look at AxKit as a replacement for Cocoon.
But when we try to go to the website, it
times out. An nslookup of 'www.axkit.com'
and 'www.axkit.org' and 'axkit.org', etc,
result in 'can't find www.axkit.com:
Non-existent host/domain'. The same used to
be true of take23.org, but it showed up again
recently...  All of this happened shortly
after Sept. 11....

I have searched websites and mail lists for
any news about the axkit site (and for that matter
sergeant.org), but I have only turned up one post
about the site being down, and it suggested that it was
being transferred to apache.org.

Does anyone have factual information about the
AxKit website?

Thank you!

Mike Hitchcock
mike@collegenet.com

Re: What hapened to AxKit.com?

Posted by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
mike@collegenet.com wrote:

> I finally convinced some of my colleagues
> to look at AxKit as a replacement for Cocoon.
> But when we try to go to the website, it
> times out. An nslookup of 'www.axkit.com'
> and 'www.axkit.org' and 'axkit.org', etc,
> result in 'can't find www.axkit.com:
> Non-existent host/domain'. The same used to
> be true of take23.org, but it showed up again
> recently...  All of this happened shortly
> after Sept. 11....

If AxKit doesn't work out, Apache::ASP has XSLT
functionality that rivals AxKit & Cocoon with a
dbm based cache layer...

  http://www.apache-asp.org/xml.html#XSLT%20Tranformations

Next time I post benchmarks on the mod_perl list,
you will see some XSLT performance comparisons.
AxKit is definately faster than Apache::ASP by
some .005 sec per request on my machine, but this
may not make a difference for you.  Also in benchmarks
I have seen both Apache::ASP & AxKit to be faster than
Cocoon v1 ... I never got v2 installed.

BTW, if no one else tells you on the list, the AxKit site is \
just temporarily down due to the author Matt moving recently.
I don't have current status on this.

--Josh

Re: What hapened to AxKit.com?

Posted by Jim Winstead <ji...@apache.org>.
you can get to axkit.com at http://217.158.50.178/

you can read about matt's travails in getting it up and
running again at his diary on use.perl.org.

http://use.perl.org/~matts/journal

jim

Re: What hapened to AxKit.com?

Posted by Chris Devers <ch...@skillcheck.com>.
On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Perl Man wrote:

> At 02:42 PM 10/3/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >Does anyone have factual information about the
> >AxKit website?
>
> Here's what I got after trying to join their email list:
> ====================================
> After 10 days (232 hours), your message could not be
> fully delivered.
> It failed to be received by the following address(es):
> axkit-subscribe@sergeant.org (host: sergeant.org) (queue: network)
> Problems usually are due to service interruptions at the receiving
> machine. Less often, they are caused by the communication system.
> Your message follows:

I tried to get to sergeant.org today and it was inaccessible too.

</yet another datapoint>

--
Chris Devers                     chris_devers@skillcheck.com

Re: What hapened to AxKit.com?