Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch> on 2002/05/13 08:47:37 UTC

v1_2-branch created

Given that log4j 1.3 is not likely to be released before a few months, I
have created
a branch called  v1_2-branch in our CVS repository, by issuing the
following command

cvs -d :ext:ceki@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvs rtag -b -r v1_2final v1_2-branch
jakarta-log4j

Using the 1.2 branch, we can incorporate patches to log4j version 1.2 while
version 1.3
continues to be developed on the main trunk. For example, we can officially
release
lf5 (including documentation) already in log4j 1.2.1. Brad, does that sound
reasonable?

To command to access the v1_2-branch is:

cvs -d XYZ checkout -r v1_2-branch jakarta-log4j

where XYZ is the remote repository name, that is
":ext:ceki@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvs" for me.

Alternatively, you can issue the

   cvs update -r v1_2-branch

command from an existing work copy.

Working with branches is not completely trivial and requires a little
coordination between
committers, in particular in relation with branch merge operations. In
order to avoid multiple
merge conflicts, each time we merge from the 1.2 branch to the main trunk,
we should
(must?) tag the merged version on the 1.2 branch. Subsequent merges should
use the tag
referring to the latest merged version of the branch. Also do not forget to
publicly announce
a merge operation.

If this sounds like mumbo jumbo, I urge you to consult the CVS
documentation and experiment
with branches before hitting the log4j repository. Branches are not that
complicated really although
they require slightly more discipline on the part of committers.

Do not hesitate to shout if you need help,

--

Ceki