Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by swarag <Sw...@citysearch.com> on 2008/07/30 03:35:51 UTC

Quick shards question

I'm currently looking through the source, but just wanted to verify how
shards work.  If a request is made to:

http://localhost:8983/solr/select?shards=localhost:8983/solr,localhost:7574/solr

Does the 8983 instance of Solr make an http request to both 7574 AND 8983 to
search? Or does it know that itself is 8983 and only make the http request
to 7574 while running the search on itself locally?

The source code seems to tell me that it uses the former (makes an http
request to itself), but I just wanted to make sure.

Re: Quick shards question

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 9:35 PM, swarag <Sw...@citysearch.com> wrote:
> I'm currently looking through the source, but just wanted to verify how
> shards work.  If a request is made to:
>
> http://localhost:8983/solr/select?shards=localhost:8983/solr,localhost:7574/solr
>
> Does the 8983 instance of Solr make an http request to both 7574 AND 8983 to
> search? Or does it know that itself is 8983 and only make the http request
> to 7574 while running the search on itself locally?
>
> The source code seems to tell me that it uses the former (makes an http
> request to itself), but I just wanted to make sure.

Right.

Trying to optimize this was very low on my list since it creates a
different code path (even more potential for bugs), and any gains
would likely be very small (now that we have a binary format for
communication).

-Yonik