Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com> on 2007/07/04 01:28:19 UTC

Workeffort Calendar Progress

I have been working on making the Workeffort calendar support user-selected locales and time zones.

Steps accomplished so far:

1. Fixed date computation bug in the calendar code
2. Provided a time zone drop-down list and user time zone selection persistence
3. Re-write the bsh and ftl files to support user-selected time zones and locales. This step was a
snap because I ported my calendar program files back to OFBiz. This hasn't been submitted yet,
because there are some blockers...

Steps that need to be done:

4. Make the user selected java.util.TimeZone object available to services and screen renderers. The
code has been submitted (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-1117) but not committed yet.
5. Modify the form widget to support user selected time zones and locales. Currently the form widget
forces the user to input date/time in the server's format and time zone. I haven't started on that yet.
6. Modify Workeffort calendar form widgets to use the new time zone/locale support from #5.

I hoped to get more work done on this during the holiday, but as luck would have it, my internet
connection died yesterday and it won't be working again until Friday.

-Adrian

Re: Workeffort Calendar Progress

Posted by Daniel Martínez <da...@paradisosistemas.es>.
Thanks a lot Adrian for this work. I am really interested in it.

David E Jones escribió:

> I'm not totally sure what you have in mind here, but I'll keep an eye
> out for more info from you and see if I can help out.
>
> IMO the main priority for this is to properly support time zones. I'm
> still a big fan of the descending date/time format instead of using
> localized formats. The problem with those is that there are either too
> few or too many "standards" and so unless you show a format string
> with every input box it can be VERY confusing and frustrating to
> figure out how to type in a date and/or time. We also need to keep in
> the mind that the popup window for date selection would need to have
> something passed into it so it knows how to format the date/time
> string based on the selection.
IMO descending date/time is great for queries on databases but not for
human input. Most ERPs I've seen have support for localized formats.

I agree however about the "too many standards" problem. To solve this
either a properties file with "locale-date_format" entries or a new
entity with this info could be used.

WDYT?

--
Daniel

Re: Workeffort Calendar Progress

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
It's the format we use everywhere. Descending means start with the biggest unit and continue to the smallest (ie year, month, day, hour, minute, second, partial second).

-David

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Ha I see, thanks Jacopo ! Yes this should be the only authorised date format everywhere indeed (not only in OFBiz I mean :o)

Jacques

De : "Jacopo Cappellato" <ti...@sastau.it>

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Jacques,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
David,

De : "David E Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>

Posted by Daniel Martínez <da...@paradisosistemas.es>.
David,

Sorry for the dumb question.

OrderItem was just an example.

I thought you meant storing dates in the user locale in the database. Of
course the answer is no.
--
Daniel

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Daniel,

Posted by Daniel Martínez <da...@paradisosistemas.es>.
Hi David,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
This is really a confusing theme.

On one hand, as an "informaticien" (it's the word for software engineer here in France)  I would love to see everybody in this world
using an unique sortable date format. I like to see order in things and yes I'm very puzzled too with all these date formats.

On the other hand it's obvious that we are not missionaries and that people do like using what they have learnt at school or at
work. In every days life people use date formats to sign check, etc. How can we expect them to get rid of their common locale habits
using a software ? For them it's only a tool, like a pencil or such...

So I agree with Adrian last paragraph below (I'm not sure of what David means by "This seems strangely familiar...")

Jacques

De : "David E Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>

> Adrian Crum wrote:
> > David E Jones wrote:
> >> Please step outside of yourself a little bit and realize that your
> >> experiences are not the same as the whole world and that perhaps
> >> you're not in a position to speak for the whole world.
> >
> > lol - That's the position *you've* taken, not me. Daniel and I have
> > expressed a different view than yours, and you're trying to argue that
> > yours is the "best" one. I'm trying to make a point that we have two
> > different requirements, therefore OFBiz should attempt to accomodate
> > both requirements. You're saying that the OFBiz users who have different
> > requirements than yours don't matter, or that they aren't well traveled,
> > or they are confused and don't know what's best for them.
>
> I may just be writing this because I'm damn sick (no solid food for 6 days now) and in a bad mood... but I DARE you to back up the
words your speaking on my behalf with text from what I actually wrote, especially the "You're saying that the OFBiz users who have
different requirements than yours don't matter". If I mis-wrote that badly, I should just give up now.

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
David E Jones wrote:
> Please step outside of yourself a little bit and realize that your
> experiences are not the same as the whole world and that perhaps you're
> not in a position to speak for the whole world.

lol - That's the position *you've* taken, not me. Daniel and I have expressed a different view than
yours, and you're trying to argue that yours is the "best" one. I'm trying to make a point that we
have two different requirements, therefore OFBiz should attempt to accomodate both requirements.
You're saying that the OFBiz users who have different requirements than yours don't matter, or that
they aren't well traveled, or they are confused and don't know what's best for them.

 > Also, which systems or
> even types of systems have you used?
> OFBiz is (or aspires to be!) a global friendly corporate scale ERP
> system.

{snip]

> wrong about the format? What about the poor users (like me!) who travel
> and use web sites around the world and always have to guess about the
> date format, sometimes getting it wrong and would really just like to
> have thing
> s be consistent and in a format that is sortable and makes sense so I
> can think of time increments largest to smallest?

Let's apply the same argument to currency. Why should we support anything other than US dollars? It
shouldn't take long for users accustomed to other currency to adapt, right? Why does OFBiz format
currency according to locale? Aren't those currency formatting differences "funny local customs" too?

I think you're making this a bigger issue than it needs to be. All of the date/time formatting has
to be run through some kind of conversion method anyway, so why not add to that method a simple if
statement that checks a property in general.properties? If the server is set up to use yyyy-mm-dd
formatting, then use it. Otherwise, format the date/time according to the user's locale. It doesn't
require any additional programming effort. Problem solved. Everybody's happy.

> Of course, we should really give this some time and let others express
> their opinions.

I agree. We've both made our points. I'm done.

Posted by Daniel Martínez <da...@paradisosistemas.es>.
David,

While I'd love to see all people in the world using this sortable date
format, GMT time and speaking spanish :P, I have to face reality in form
of the users' locale.

David E Jones escribió:

> Adrian,
>
> Please step outside of yourself a little bit and realize that your
> experiences are not the same as the whole world and that perhaps
> you're not in a position to speak for the whole world. Also, which
> systems or even types of systems have you used?
> OFBiz is (or aspires to be!) a global friendly corporate scale ERP
> system. In my view this makes the two things we've been discussing
> contradictory:
>
> 1. properly support multiple time zones (important for global ERP
> systems, doesn't matter for USA or Europe only desktop small business
> apps)
I also agree with you that lack of timezone support is a major problem
which can break havoc in form of database consistency and scheduling
problems.

> 2. use funny local customs for date format (bad for global ERP
> systems, good for USA or Europe only desktop small business apps)
>
> Some places in the world don't have a consistent standard. In the USA
> my experience has been there are multiple standards, though yes the
> defacto one is month/day/year - even though ordering things that way
> makes NO sense whatsoever.
You can take Excell. While not a global-focused ERP, excell files are
exchanged everyday through mail between different locales. Date formats
are viewed according to the user locale (which can also be configured)
and everybody is happy. Why can't ofbiz support this?

> Anyway, how long does it takes for a user to get the idea of a
> descending date/time format? A few minutes maybe?
How much a discussion like this will take with a manager? How many more
complaints (translated to effort in meetings) will the system suffer
from this issue?
> How annoying is it to have different entry formats in different places
> (it will be a fair bit of work to make them all consistently different
> in OFBiz now...)? Even if they are all consistent, how annoying is it
> to produce different documentation and screen shots for different
> places around the world, even if nothing is different other than this?
Well, the language will be different also (in non-english countries), so
the screenshots will have to be changed anyway.
> How confusing is it for "George" in a support call center in India to
> take calls from all over the world and have to figure out what the
> user is seeing on the other end and why they're getting a date format
> error or worse some other obscure error or a non-error but unexpected
> result when the user guesses wrong about the format? What about the
> poor users (like me!) who travel and use web sites around the world
> and always have to guess about the date format, sometimes getting it
> wrong and would really just like to have thing
It should not be a problem is George has a tool to select the correct
user's locale (as ofbiz has).

How many poor users (like me) have to suffer global ecommerce sites
(like amazon) not respecting my locale (not only dates in mm/dd/yyyy
format but also lack of support for accents, unicode, etc ...)?

--
Daniel

Re: Workeffort Calendar Progress

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Adrian,

Please step outside of yourself a little bit and realize that your experiences are not the same as the whole world and that perhaps you're not in a position to speak for the whole world. Also, which systems or even types of systems have you used?

OFBiz is (or aspires to be!) a global friendly corporate scale ERP system. In my view this makes the two things we've been discussing contradictory:

1. properly support multiple time zones (important for global ERP systems, doesn't matter for USA or Europe only desktop small business apps)

2. use funny local customs for date format (bad for global ERP systems, good for USA or Europe only desktop small business apps)

Some places in the world don't have a consistent standard. In the USA my experience has been there are multiple standards, though yes the defacto one is month/day/year - even though ordering things that way makes NO sense whatsoever.

Anyway, how long does it takes for a user to get the idea of a descending date/time format? A few minutes maybe? How annoying is it to have different entry formats in different places (it will be a fair bit of work to make them all consistently different in OFBiz now...)? Even if they are all consistent, how annoying is it to produce different documentation and screen shots for different places around the world, even if nothing is different other than this? How confusing is it for "George" in a support call center in India to take calls from all over the world and have to figure out what the user is seeing on the other end and why they're getting a date format error or worse some other obscure error or a non-error but unexpected result when the user guesses wrong about the format? What about the poor users (like me!) who travel and use web sites around the world and always have to guess about the date format, sometimes getting it wrong and would really just like to have thing
s be consistent and in a format that is sortable and makes sense so I can think of time increments largest to smallest?

Of course, we should really give this some time and let others express their opinions. I also realize I've only experienced a small corner of the world, but that is the main reason I have for keeping this consistent and as standard as possible for the ERP world.

-David

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
David,

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
David E Jones wrote:
> Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>> There are two date/time issues that need to be addressed in the form
>> widget:
>>
>> 1. Converting Strings to/from Timestamps using the user's time zone.
>> I'm thinking this is something that needs to be controlled by a widget
>> XML element attribute - since there may be cases where the server's
>> time zone should be used. It would be best to have the widget default
>> to the server's time zone (for backward compatibility) and have time
>> zone support switched on through an XML element attribute.
>

> Right now I'd say we go ahead and default it to use the users time zone,
> in other words interpret any user input as time in their own time zone -
> or even change all date/time inputs to allow the user to specify the
> time zone (which IMO would be a great enhancement) and have it default
> to the user's preferred time zone. There are various system time stamps
> that should be in the system's time zone, but for the most part when a
> user enters data we can assume (and default to) that they mean it in
> terms of their own time zone.

Cool! It would be simpler to make that the default behavior. I had thought about the selectable
time-zone per input idea. Maybe that can come after the basic implementation is in place.

> Note that from an infrastructure level this can be a little complicated,
> but it's not too bad, and I agree it's worth doing. This would make
> OFBiz a much more global-friendly

I don't think it will be that complicated. If we make the user's TimeZone object as ubiquitous as
their Locale object, then it can be used to run date/time conversions though the UtilDateTime methods.

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
No, there is no issue set up yet.

Posted by Daniel Martínez <da...@paradisosistemas.es>.
What do you mean ready for it?

I was thinking about beginning some development for it to get done, not
for discussing it (at least not discussing IF it should get done but HOW
should it get done). If no one else is interested on this I will
eventually submit a patch and then you can discuss (through this list)
if it should be commited or not.

Please correct me if my reasoning is wrong.

Daniel

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
As Adrian said there isn't one, but I don't think we're ready for one either. The dev mailing list is much better for, and is really meant for, discussions like this.

-David

Posted by Daniel Martínez <da...@paradisosistemas.es>.
Adrian,

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
David E Jones wrote:
> Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>> 5. Modify the form widget to support user selected time zones and
>> locales. Currently the form widget forces the user to input date/time
>> in the server's format and time zone. I haven't started on that yet.
>

> I'm not totally sure what you have in mind here, but I'll keep an eye
> out for more info from you and see if I can help out.
>
> IMO the main priority for this is to properly support time zones. I'm
> still a big fan of the descending date/time format instead of using
> localized formats. The problem with those is that there are either too
> few or too many "standards" and so unless you show a format string with
> every input box it can be VERY confusing and frustrating to figure out
> how to type in a date and/or time. We also need to keep in the mind that
> the popup window for date selection would need to have something passed
> into it so it knows how to format the date/time string based on the
> selection.
>
> So yeah, in general I'm a big fan of using the descending format
> everywhere, even consumer/public facing applications (at least as a
> default, there are certainly tools to support other formats as needed
> for custom UIs).
>
> -David

David,

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.