Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Paul Doyle <pa...@traventec.com> on 2005/08/03 11:46:12 UTC

[math] RandomData: Zero variance in Gaussian distribution?

The RandomData interface stipulates that the standard deviation value for a call to nextGaussian(double mu, double sigma) should be greater than zero.  Can anybody explain to me why this restriction exists?

I would like to use a range of standard deviation values, including at times a value of zero resulting in a return value equal to the specified mean value.  The above restriction prevents this.  I can work around this easily enough but now I'm wondering if there is a good reason not to do so.

Thanks in advance -

Paul

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and may be privileged and are intended solely for the individual named/ for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.If you are not the intended addressee, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.Please notify the sender immediately if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that reviewing, disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.Please note that any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Traventec Limited. This e-mail has been swept for computer viruses however Traventec Limited accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.