Posted to dev@stanbol.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2012/05/25 11:49:14 UTC

Can we graduate Stanbol?

Hi,

I think it's time to graduate - we'll need to complete the status page
at http://incubator.apache.org/projects/stanbol.html but IMO:

-The project operates according to Apache governance principles, with
respectful and constructive exchanges among project members.

-It has attracted and elected a number of new committers during
incubation, and built relationships with other Apache projects.

-A release has been made, refined and accepted by mentors and by the
Incubator PMC.

-The project looks on track to continue building its community and software

To graduate, the project will need a PMC chair - I'll open a separate
discussion to propose candidates.

The first job of that person would IMO be to draft the board
resolution for graduation, and push it forward.
I'm happy to help fill in the gaps for that process as needed.

What do people and mentors think?

-Bertrand

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#pmc-chair

Re: Can we graduate Stanbol?

Posted by Rupert Westenthaler <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi

On 25.05.2012, at 14:22, Fabian Christ wrote:

> 2012/5/25 Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>:
>> Ok, if people want that I'm fine with it, but IMO we shouldn't wait
>> too long - what's your timeline for doing that release?
>
> If we find something that is ready for release, this could happen next week.

List of the most important changes since the 0.9.0 that would be ready for possible release next week

* change of the default home directory form "{user.dir}/sling" to {user.dir}/stanbol" ( STANBOL-562)
* Addition of the ContentItemFactory to the Stanbol Enhancer (STANBOL-573) - allows users that need to process big files to use a file based ContentItem implementation instead of the default in-memory one.
* Entityhub now supports Google Refine Reconciliation service API (STANBOL-594)
* Entityhub Query API now supports "full text" (all textual values), "similarity" (Solr MLT) and "semantic context" (all outgoing relations) queries
* Full LDpath support for the Entityhub indexing tool (STANBOL-556) - this can be used e.g. to store labels of dbpedia redirects with the target Entity; or to follow hierarchies for Places ...
* Update to Tika 1.1(STANBOL-627) - most interesting for Stanbol is the support for metadata extraction of mpeg4, quicktime files.

Bug-Fixes:

* POS tagging works again (STANBOL-628): This is broken with 0.9.0 what significantly reduces the quality of Enhancement Results with the KeywordExtractionEngine in languages with POS tagging support (e.g. German)
* CORS improvements (while it seams there are still reports of issues with PUT and DELETE requests that need to be verified)
* Several improvements/bug fixes to the SolrYard (Solr based storage for the Entityhub)

best
Rupert Westenthaler

Re: Can we graduate Stanbol?

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Can we graduate Stanbol?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: Can we graduate Stanbol?

Posted by Olivier Grisel <ol...@ensta.org>.
2012/5/25 Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> before we graduate I would like to do another release - maybe of only
> a single component. The reason for that is, that we have changed quite
> a lot in the POMs and the release process since our first release. IMO
> it would be good to test this new process at least once while we are
> in incubation. Just to get it settled. I did not have a closer look at
> the status of the current developments but maybe we already have some
> candidate for a component that could be released in the near future.

Ok with me. Maybe the enhancer components impacted by Rupert recent work on
STANBOL-622-5 .

--
Olivier

Re: Can we graduate Stanbol?

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

before we graduate I would like to do another release - maybe of only
a single component. The reason for that is, that we have changed quite
a lot in the POMs and the release process since our first release. IMO
it would be good to test this new process at least once while we are
in incubation. Just to get it settled. I did not have a closer look at
the status of the current developments but maybe we already have some
candidate for a component that could be released in the near future.

Best,
 - Fabian

Re: Can we graduate Stanbol?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
+1 for graduation (after another release if bthats the way folk want to do
it)