Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Stefan at WPF <st...@googlemail.com> on 2012/08/10 00:55:29 UTC

[net] Send mail using SSL and authentication

Hello,

I need to send an email using SSL (SMTPS) and authentication. In The Apache
Commons Net I could find the following classes:
- SMTPSClient class -> SSL, but no authentication?
- AuthenticatingSMTPClient -> Authentication, but no SSL?

Did I understand something wrong? How to use SSL and authentication
together? Thanks for any hint!

Best regards
Stefan

Re: [net] Send mail using SSL and authentication

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 9 August 2012 23:55, Stefan at WPF <st...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to send an email using SSL (SMTPS) and authentication. In The Apache
> Commons Net I could find the following classes:
> - SMTPSClient class -> SSL, but no authentication?
> - AuthenticatingSMTPClient -> Authentication, but no SSL?
>
> Did I understand something wrong? How to use SSL and authentication
> together? Thanks for any hint!

Commons NET is not intended as a full e-mail client; it only offers a
very low-level API.

For normal e-mail use, you should find Commons Email much easier.