Posted to dev@any23.apache.org by Peter Ansell <an...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/22 05:33:18 UTC

Moving towards releasing any23-0.8.0

Hi all,

I triaged the issue list today, as you may have noticed by the mass of
emails, to postpone some issues to 0.9.0. This is to enable us to
release 0.8.0 sooner, given the length of time since the 0.7.0 release
so far.

After the triage there were 16 remaining issues to be fixed for 0.8.0:

6 of the remaining bugs include bugs related to Lev Khomich's
RDFa/Semargl proposal:

     ANY23-137 RDFa parser implementation proposal
     ANY23-136 Some RDFa tests have incorrect expected results
     ANY23-100 Issue with RDFa extractor while processing nested properties
     ANY23-135 Any23 RDFa Extractor ignores multiple prefix and
property statements
     ANY23-65 Update to RDFa extraction stylesheet
     ANY23-128 html-rdfa11 extractor fails on mailto: anchors

Of the other bugs there is only one that currently stands out as a
blocker that we must fix to verify the release is working well:

     ANY23-140 Revise Any23 tests to remove fetching of web content

Many of the outstanding issues are still unassigned, and could still
be postponed if they are not critical to the release.

Does anyone have a goal date for releasing 0.8.0 that we could
reasonably achieve?

Cheers,

Peter

Re: Moving towards releasing any23-0.8.0

Posted by Peter Ansell <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lewis,

Sesame-2.7.0-beta3 will be released, as far as I can tell. Most of the
major goals (SPARQL-1.1 and Turtle updates) were achieved in
2.7.0-beta2, but there were still comments on the new transaction
handling mechanisms and some outstanding issues, so we will likely be
going through another beta, and if there are still comments there may
be a release candidate after that. The next cycle should be shorter
than the cycle from beta1 to beta2 which was mostly due to the
christmas/new year period.

Cheers,

Peter

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Peter Ansell <an...@gmail.com>.
On 24 January 2013 15:57, Lewis John Mcgibbney
<le...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 8:33 PM, Peter Ansell <an...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I triaged the issue list today, as you may have noticed by the mass of
>> emails, to postpone some issues to 0.9.0. This is to enable us to
>> release 0.8.0 sooner, given the length of time since the 0.7.0 release
>> so far.
>>

> Thanks for this. It is pretty time consuming to say the least. I noticed
> that we also cleaned up/resolved/marked as not valid a good few issues as
> well which is always nice :0)
> For future reference, you can do batch changes to issue fields and can also
> mark to be silent so that the list doesn't get informed, however on this
> occasion I think it was best that we all can see what is on the agenda for
> the 0.8.0 release so thank you.

I marked the batch transfer from "0.7.1" to "0.8.0" that I did as
silent. The other changes were as I was going through triaging each of
the issues to see whether they were going to be blockers or reasonably
easy to implement for 0.8.0. I probably should have gone through the
same batch interface for that as well so I could select silent for the
0.8.0 to 0.9.0 transfers.

>> After the triage there were 16 remaining issues to be fixed for 0.8.0:
>>

> Now 17... what a difference a day or two makes!
>

>> 6 of the remaining bugs include bugs related to Lev Khomich's
>> RDFa/Semargl proposal:
>>
>>      ANY23-137 RDFa parser implementation proposal
>>      ANY23-136 Some RDFa tests have incorrect expected results
>>      ANY23-100 Issue with RDFa extractor while processing nested properties
>>      ANY23-135 Any23 RDFa Extractor ignores multiple prefix and
>> property statements
>>      ANY23-65 Update to RDFa extraction stylesheet
>>      ANY23-128 html-rdfa11 extractor fails on mailto: anchors
>>

> We can hopefully integrate Lev's patch proposal(s) which will resolve the
> above. I suppose this is blocked by the release of the smargl library
> correct? What tome scale are we looking at for this?

I would like to wait until Sesame-2.7.0 comes out before integrating
Lev's patches, as it would be nice to be able to use the new
ParserConfig/ParserSetting work that I put into 2.7.0 to make it
easier to configure the large number of options for Lev's RDFa Parser.
The main blockers for Sesame-2.7.0, getting SPARQL-1.1 and Turtle up
to date, have been completed, but I am not sure what the stability
timescale will be for the RepositoryConnection/Sail transaction
changes.

>> Of the other bugs there is only one that currently stands out as a
>> blocker that we must fix to verify the release is working well:
>>
>>      ANY23-140 Revise Any23 tests to remove fetching of web content
>>
>> Many of the outstanding issues are still unassigned, and could still
>> be postponed if they are not critical to the release.
>>

> Yes +1. Currently we use some kind of embedded Jetty server during the
> build/testing, therefore I wonder if off the top of anyone head they would
> know how to configure the server for serving static content? We are talking
> literally three or four files (and as many test cases) which are the devil
> 'live' cases which present us with unstable builds.
> I am not overly familiar with Jetty API so as of writing I don't know how
> to serve static content from the configuration we currently have, however I
> can't imagine it would be difficult.

I am not familiar with this process either, but it is a common case
that should be available in a "StaticFileServlet" somewhere,
hopefully.

>> Does anyone have a goal date for releasing 0.8.0 that we could
>> reasonably achieve?
>>
>> Personally, I would really like to see us push an 0.8.0 release sometime
> soon. I think the community requires one as we have struggled slightly
> (which is only natural) to progress since leaving the incubator. On the
> positive side, the fundamental modularization and restructuring of Any23
> (along with the other contributions) has been excellent. We need to push
> this out and get others using the artifacts.

Sounds good.

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Peter,