Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Mathieu Nantel <na...@ecopiabio.com> on 2004/10/28 20:29:08 UTC

SA 3.0.1/amavis - trouble loading uridnsbl/hashcash/spf

Hey list,

I could not find too much info about the following issue on the list.
Hopefully someone can help me out:

I've just pushed an upgrade of my SA 2.64 setup to 3.0.1. I wanted to benefit
from the new features, uridnsbl in particular.

I've done this kind of setup on a Gentoo box, and it worked without any
hurdles. The mail server I'm trying to set this up onto is a sparc solaris 9
system running Perl 5.8.0. Both of these installs are being performed on
Postfix / amavisd-new setup. I'm no beginner to SA: I've done a few setups as
a sideline.

The uridnsbl.pm module is indeed located in the right place. A quick test with
one of the blacklisted domains on surbl.org triggers Razor2 tests, suggesting
that the network tests are operational, but not uridnsbl.

Where the Gentoo system outputs the following (when starting amavis in debug
mode):

##########
debug: config: read file /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
debug: using "/var/run/amavis/.spamassassin/user_prefs" for user prefs file
debug: plugin: loading Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL from @INC
debug: plugin: registered Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x9459d78)
debug: plugin: loading Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Hashcash from @INC
debug: plugin: registered Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Hashcash=HASH(0x945508c)
debug: plugin: loading Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF from @INC
debug: plugin: registered Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF=HASH(0x85a1c90)
debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x9459d78) implements
'parse_config'
debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Hashcash=HASH(0x945508c) implements
'parse_config'
debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x9459d78) inhibited
further callbacks
debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x9459d78) inhibited
further callbacks
debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x9459d78) inhibited
further callbacks
debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x9459d78) inhibited
further callbacks
debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x9459d78) inhibited
further callbacks
debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x9459d78) inhibited
further callbacks
debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x9459d78) inhibited
further callbacks
debug: bayes: 9039 tie-ing to DB file
R/O /var/run/amavis/.spamassassin/bayes_toks
debug: bayes: 9039 tie-ing to DB file
R/O /var/run/amavis/.spamassassin/bayes_seen
##########

... the Solaris system skips from the "user_prefs" line to the bayes lines.

I'm at a lost here. Is it possible that this @INC search path doesn't include
the folder where uridnsbl, hashcash and SPF are located? I'm not a perl
expert, and I have no clue on how/if I can change amavisd's @INC to reflect
the proper path for these modules.

Can anyone help me out? I'm sorry, perhaps this should have been posted on the
amavis mailing list. However, I know that there are loads of amavis experts
here.

Thanks!!

--
Mathieu Nantel, RHCE - Systems Manager
Ecopia BioSciences Inc.

Re: SA 3.0.1/amavis - trouble loading uridnsbl/hashcash/spf

Posted by Mathieu Nantel <na...@ecopiabio.com>.
I do not doubt it. That's why I'm really trying on this one. I'm moving this
system off Solaris to Linux soon, so I don't really need to solve this
issue, but I'm curious to say the least.

As someone else pointed out, I tried loading URIDNSBL.pm as a plugin by
putting a loadplugin line in my local.cf, and here we go. Seems to work
now...

Posted by Bill Landry <bi...@pointshare.com>.
Posted by Sahil Tandon <sa...@hamla.org>.
Quoting Mathieu Nantel <na...@ecopiabio.com>:

> On October 28, 2004 03:50 pm, Mark Martinec wrote:

> >   # su amavis -c 'spamassassin -D < 0.txt'
>
> This works and loads the uridnsbl, hashcash & SPF modules.
> Amavis sounds quite like the guilty part...

Stick the URIDNSBL-related stuff from local.cf in
/where/amavis/lives/.spamassassin/user_prefs (this should already exist if you
did spamassassin --lint previously).

--
Sahil Tandon

Re: SA 3.0.1/amavis - trouble loading uridnsbl/hashcash/spf

Posted by Mathieu Nantel <na...@ecopiabio.com>.
On October 28, 2004 03:50 pm, Mark Martinec wrote:
> Mathieu,
>
> > Spamd was started from root, as there's a socket permission problem when
> > trying to start it as anything else.
> >
> > Amavis is started as root, and then changes to "amavis".
>
> So try it with a command line spamassassin, e.g.:
>
>   # su amavis -c 'spamassassin -D < 0.txt'

This works and loads the uridnsbl, hashcash & SPF modules.
Amavis sounds quite like the guilty part...

> and compare the result with what you get from 'amavisd debug-sa'.
> Pay special attention to paths and SA config files used.
>
> Btw, you are brave to run it all under Perl 5.8.0.
> The 5.8.2 or later would contribute to a less buggy environment.

Yes, I have read a comment to that effect. That machine will become Linux
based shortly, effectively being reinstalled with the latest Perl, so I'm not
going to invest too much time in it. I just thought I would give it a try
right away.

Posted by Mark Martinec <Ma...@ijs.si>.
Mathieu,

Posted by Mathieu Nantel <na...@ecopiabio.com>.
Spamd was started from root, as there's a socket permission problem when
trying to start it as anything else.

Amavis is started as root, and then changes to "amavis".

I am not running in chroot right now as far as I know.

Posted by Mark Martinec <Ma...@ijs.si>.
Mathieu,

Posted by Mathieu Nantel <na...@ecopiabio.com>.

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 02:29:08PM -0400, Mathieu Nantel wrote:
> I'm at a lost here. Is it possible that this @INC search path doesn't include
> the folder where uridnsbl, hashcash and SPF are located? I'm not a perl
> expert, and I have no clue on how/if I can change amavisd's @INC to reflect
> the proper path for these modules.

It's possible, but then none of the SA modules would be able to load.

> Can anyone help me out? I'm sorry, perhaps this should have been posted on the
> amavis mailing list. However, I know that there are loads of amavis experts
> here.

Well, not really...  The first thing I would verify is that you have an
appropriate init.pre file setup to load the plugins.  Without that, SA won't
even try.

Also, get it working outside of Amavis.  When that works, it's easier to get
amavis working.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays drums."