Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by di...@multitask.com.au on 2003/02/23 18:14:46 UTC

RE: [RESULT] Release 2.3

"Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com> wrote on 24/02/2003 12:46:21 AM:

> I'd love to do it this way, but its not clear to me how.  Things have
NOT
> been happening in terms of incubation.  Bug list has not been set up.
The
> procedures for being a Jakarta project aren't written down ... it seems
> be e-oral tradition.
I'll agree there's not a lot written down and documented. But there are
lots of people who've been 'Release Manager' recently who are contactable
via email and lists.

There's also this: http://jakarta.apache.org/site/guides.html

Maybe we should start with a list of things to do from the
incubation-not-happening angle.

A bugzilla or Scarab admin is needed, yes?

>From http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?TapestryToDo, there
appear to be quite a few issues to be resolved before a release, including
the distribution of mckoi gpl jars from CVS (
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-tapestry/lib/ext/mckoidb-0.94h.jar )

> I'm also waiting to find out about Maven; we may want to reorganize our
> directory structure to support Maven in the short term and Forrest (for
> Tapestry site documentation) in the medium term.  with Maven we'd have
> nightly builds, and there would be no reason to create so many alpha
builds.

Gump is also on the todo list, for nightly build processing.

I can help with Maven reorg.

I'm not sure what happened with incubation, but lets get this back on
track.

Re: [RESULT] Release 2.3

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

>A bugzilla or Scarab admin is needed, yes?

I sent infrastructure about this.  We've already gotten some response.

>Gump is also on the todo list, for nightly build processing.

I figured I'd wait until after the Maven reorg because I don't want to
do this twice.  (Since maven will undoubtably affect the configuration
and Gump is a pain in the ass to configure).

>I can help with Maven reorg.
>
>I'm not sure what happened with incubation, but lets get this back on
>track.

I don't want to start a flamewar about this, but I'd also recommend
using Maven instead of Forrest for the documentation.  Although Forrest
is really cool and flexible and has templates especially designed for
usability, etc etc..  Its really slow.  This isn't a big deal for site
generation but can be a pain durring development (anyone changing a page
has to run the build, etC)... PDF generation is nice, but its not
particularly useful since every page gets it own PDF.

In any case, if you do decide on using forrest and you're not able to
Mavenize within the timeframe you'd like, I could do a Centipede build
(Centipede is integrated with Forrest).  While I suggest using Maven for
this project, I can get a Centipede build together fairly quickly as
well as it running under gump quickly.  (I can just copy what is done
for other projects).  I suggest this only in the spirit of getting the
ball rolling.  I'd like to see Tapestry on its way out of the incubator
within the next month or so.  The community looks strong, we have only
infrastructural obsticles.

-Andy

P.S. I haven't forgotten about the other little task I have to do, I'd
just like to save that for last as its likely to generate a large amount
of conversation that I don't have time for.  (between traveling and
being sick)

Re: [RESULT] Release 2.3

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Re: [RESULT] Release 2.3