Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "dohadwala, moiz" <do...@emc.com> on 2005/09/22 16:10:39 UTC

[m2] project descriptor tags

I am new to maven and have decided to take the plunge with m2. I have trying
to understand the pom.xml tags. I don't understand the purpose of the
extension tag. The description on
http://maven.apache.org/maven2/maven-model/maven.html#class_Extension
<http://maven.apache.org/maven2/maven-model/maven.html#class_Extension>
isn't too clear.

Is there any other location I can use for reference?

-Moiz

Re: [m2] project descriptor tags

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.
I can give you a use case where you would need extensions.

there is a jdbc plugin that lets you execute whatever sql you want when you
execute the plugin. But the way the plugin was built you can't just declare
every database driver as a dependency of the plugin...that would mean people
would need to download oracle drivers and install them just to use mysql..

so you use extensions so that you can insert the database driver code at
runtime of the plugin..

does that case clear up what extensions can be used for?

jesse

--
jesse mcconnell