Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Michael Ehlers <Pr...@gmx.net> on 2005/09/29 19:10:16 UTC

How not to recurse into specific directories?

Hi out there!

Is there any possibility to set something like a "no recurse beyond this
level"-flag in a directory. For example, suppose i'd like to store a lot
of projects into one repository:

root
 +----- webapps
 |       +- glover
 |       +- chumani

 +----- guiapps
         +- challenge
         +- mydiff

What i want is that on an update to root, all new projects appear in my
working directory but not the contents of the folders like "glover".
They only appear if i explicitely update "glover", for example.

I was thinking of using branching for this but i had no idea how exactly
to do so. Or what about properties?

However, it would be nice if i could just place a file like
"no_recurse_beyond_this_level" in "webapps" and "guiapps".

Of course, i could use a repository for each of the projects but this is
not what i want.

Any idea?

Thank you!
 Michael

Re: How not to recurse into specific directories?

Posted by Joshua Varner <jl...@gmail.com>.
On 9/29/05, Michael Ehlers <Pr...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi out there!
>
> Is there any possibility to set something like a "no recurse beyond this
> level"-flag in a directory. For example, suppose i'd like to store a lot
> of projects into one repository:

[snip]

> I was thinking of using branching for this but i had no idea how exactly
> to do so. Or what about properties?

There is currently not a way to do what you want.

> However, it would be nice if i could just place a file like
> "no_recurse_beyond_this_level" in "webapps" and "guiapps".
>
> Of course, i could use a repository for each of the projects but this is
> not what i want.

You can do a non-recursive checkout of root and then one of all of it's
children, but that is problematic when do operations from the root
level. If you just want a list of the projects you could use svn ls.

Josh

Re: How not to recurse into specific directories?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Sep 29, 2005, at 21:10, Michael Ehlers wrote:

> Is there any possibility to set something like a "no recurse beyond
> this level"-flag in a directory. For example, suppose i'd like to
> store a lot of projects into one repository:
>
> root
> +----- webapps
> |       +- glover
> |       +- chumani
> |
> +----- guiapps
>         +- challenge
>         +- mydiff
>
> What i want is that on an update to root, all new projects appear
> in my working directory but not the contents of the folders like
> "glover". They only appear if i explicitely update "glover", for
> example.

It's not meant to be used that way.

Instead, you should get a working of each area that you want to be
able to update separately. For example, get a working copy of glover,
another of chumani, another of challenge, etc. Arrange these working
copies in any directory structure locally that makes sense to you—
either the same way as it is in the repository, or any other way.
Then issue update commands on these separate applications as needed.

Of course, this way, you cannot in a single revision commit changes
made across multiple applications. But if that is something you are
wanting to do, then one wonders whether they should really appear to
be separate entities in the repository...

svn:externals best practices

Posted by Bill Arnette <Bi...@signalscape.com>.
How should svn:externals be set up if you want to include subdirectories of
another directory.

What is the better practice?
Have the externals create the intermediate directories or create the
intermediate directories on the project which needs the dependencies?

Ex.  Given a 3rd party library called FooLib, we create a vendor branch for
it.

/FooLib/
    include/
    lib/
    doc/
    misc/

And a project which depends on FooLib

ProjectBaz/
    src/

Now we want to set an external to FooLib in a Dependencies directory, but we
only want the include and lib subdirectories.  Is it better to set the
externals on ProjectBaz like this:

Dependencies/FooLib/include    svn://myrepos/FooLib/include
Dependencies/FooLib/lib  svn://myrepos/FooLib/lib

Or should the ProjectBaz directory have a Dependencies/FooLib directory:

ProjectBaz/
    src/
    Dependencies/
       FooLib/

where the externals are set on FooLib like so:

include  svn://myrepos/FooLib/include
lib svn://myrepos/FooLib/lib

Re: How not to recurse into specific directories?

Posted by Ravi Giri <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 9/30/05, Michael Ehlers <Pr...@gmx.net> wrote:

:: What i want is that on an update to root, all new projects appear in my
:: working directory but not the contents of the folders like "glover".
:: They only appear if i explicitely update "glover", for example.

Create another 'placeholder' subdirectory under root and add the list of
directories you want checked out to the svn:externals property. In your
case, add the list of all top level directories to svn:externals expect
'glover'.

--
Ravi