Posted to dev@ripple.apache.org by Brent Lintner <br...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/26 15:45:04 UTC

Pushing Changes to NPM

Hey All,

I'm going to push some minor changes to NPM based on some lingering PRs on
GitHub.

If anyone does not agree, please post here.

--
Brent Lintner

Re: Pushing Changes to NPM

Posted by Raymond Camden <ra...@gmail.com>.
Feel free to modify or just cut and paste. ;)

Updates (June 26, 2014)
Today we pushed three updates for Ripple. The first change is to default
the proxy to the local server instead of the old, possibly defunct, remote
proxy managed by Blackberry. Now when you perform cross domain XHR
requests, they will be proxied locally. (Details:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-ripple/pull/25)

The second fixes an issue with the cordova command not be available
globally. This would cause Ripple to fail silently. (Details:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-ripple/pull/24)

The final fix corrects an issue with detecting JSON responses. Ripple will
now properly handle them. (Details:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-ripple/pull/23)

Re: Pushing Changes to NPM

Posted by Brent Lintner <br...@gmail.com>.
PS:

Oops. Disregard my GitHub comment. I realized GitHub was mentioned in
another thread talking about what to do with Ripple (catching up).

--
Brent Lintner

Re: Pushing Changes to NPM

Posted by Brent Lintner <br...@gmail.com>.
Hey Christian,

--
Brent Lintner

Re: Pushing Changes to NPM

Posted by Raymond Camden <ra...@gmail.com>.
I suppose so. Thanks.

wrote:

> On 26 Jun 2014, at 20:19, Raymond Camden wrote:
>
>  So to be clear, an Apache project can't use npm? Or it can't *only* use
>> npm?
>>

> Not quite. An Apache project releases artifacts which can be downloaded
> from Apache hardware. These artifacts are signed and voted upon.
> That aside, if there are volunteers wanting to maintain something like npm
> its perfectly fine. projects can also say they maintain it: but I would
> give guarantees on services which are controlled by the ASF.
>
> In other words: "these npm artifacts are uploaded by members of the ripple
> projects, but if you need to make sure about them, go to the canonical
> project and download from apache.org/dist which is the official channel
> to get it."
>
> See how we did it on Log4php:
> http://logging.apache.org/log4php/download.html
> (packagist the npm for php people)
>
> We provide the source packages as requested and added an alternate
> distribution channel. Whoever needs to check the sigs, can still use our
> own package.
>
> Makes sense?
>
> Cheers
>

>> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 12:29 PM, Christian Grobmeier <
>> grobmeier@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  Hey guys,
>>>
>>> glad you have found some time working on Ripple.
>>>
>>> Please note, this push can't be considered a release in the Apache way. I
>>> am aware this is how lots of open source projects work to day, but it's
>>> not
>>> how the ASF does releases. In fact, the ASF has quite a bunch of
>>> requirements to release. These requirements need to be met because they
>>> protect us before legal issues, and also our users.
>>>
>>> Here is a document about that:
>>> http://apache.org/dev/release.html#what-must-every-release-contain
>>>
>>> A few important requirements:
>>>
>>> a release must be available in source format and from apache.org as a
>>> download as well.
>>> It must get 3 +1 votes from PMC members, in the incubator it must also
>>> get
>>> 3 +1 votes

Re: Pushing Changes to NPM

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

>> Also we miss the +1 of the project team which in fact means that
>> releasing
>> this
>> would make the release manager responsible personally for the
>> artifact.
>> Knowing
>> that there are images in the package of which do not own the rights,
>> this
>> is a problem.
>>
>> I absolutely do know that the ASF requirements are tough, but I think
>> they
>> are worth it.
>> If the team thinks they are not of use, then we need to move out to
>> GitHub.
>> If the team thinks they are good - in example some enterprise
>> customers
>> are having tough
>> requirements of what they can use and what not too - then we need to

---

Re: Pushing Changes to NPM

Posted by Raymond Camden <ra...@gmail.com>.
So to be clear, an Apache project can't use npm? Or it can't *only* use npm?

AW: Pushing Changes to NPM

Posted by Felix Weber <fe...@lixam.de>.

Gesendet von meinem BlackBerry 10-Smartphone.
� Originalnachricht �

Re: Pushing Changes to NPM

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hey guys,

> [...]

> Pushed: https://www.npmjs.org/package/ripple-emulator
>

> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 10:33 AM, Brent Lintner
> wrote:
>
>> I definitely don't disagree with that! :-)
>>
>> Maybe we can remove the CHANGELOG file once we have that, to keep
>> things
>> succinct and not duplicated.
>>

>> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 10:30 AM, Raymond Camden
>> <ra...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes - the home page should have (imo), a paragraph or two of nice
>>> text.
>>> Below that, a list of changelists.
>>>
>>> So basically, a nice review of what changed in plain speak followed
>>> by the
>>> list of changes with further details.
>>>
>>> As an end user, I want the first part so I can quickly see if I care
>>> and
>>> the second part if I want to look deeper.

---

Re: Pushing Changes to NPM

Posted by Brent Lintner <br...@gmail.com>.

--