Posted to api@directory.apache.org by Richard Sand <rs...@idfconnect.com> on 2013/08/01 05:22:13 UTC

Connection pooling

Hi all - does the API have any mechanism for connection pooling?  If not, has anyone tried applying a generic pool manager like Apache's commons-pooling to it?

The user's guide says that by default, the connections are closed after 30 seconds, and this can of course be configured. Regardless of which pool manager is used, for web application expecting a high volume traffic, I'm anticipating a connection pool of between say 5 and 50 sockets open to each LDAP server at any given time (and assuming the LDAP server bank is sized and tuned accordingly - for example, 3 or 4 replicated LDAP servers). If some connections are idle, the pool manager would do a keepalive operation. So I'm figuring on setting the connection close time to something like 10 minutes, and having the pool manager do a keepalive every 8 minutes.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated!

Best regards,

Richard

RE: Connection pooling

Posted by Richard Sand <rs...@idfconnect.com>.
Excuse my blindness, somehow I managed to not see the connection pool object when I first looked. And of course it uses commons-pooling...!