Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by "Ramakrishnan, Ramesh" <Ra...@qwest.com> on 2005/10/03 18:25:29 UTC

Currency issue while using Velocity Number tool

Hi ,

  I'm using Velocity Number tool( org.apache.velocity.tools.generic.NumberTool ) for one of my application to display a currency value in my velocity file.

Problem is, in my local system(Windows XP) , the currency is displayed correctly in $. I'm also able to get the $ symbol displayed in a Linux box.

But when i tried deploying the application in Sun Solaris 5.9, am not able to get the $ symbol. Instead am getting a generic symbol,  ¤ .

Not sure how to fix this issue though.

Thanks
Ramesh

Re: Currency issue while using Velocity Number tool

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
the NumberTool doesn't actually do any formatting of the number on its
own.  it basically serves as a very convenient wrapper for working
with the java.text.* format classes (i.e. NumberFormat, DecimalFormat,
etc.) in a velocity template.

It sounds like something is different in the Locale settings for the
JVM's you have set up on the two different machines.  look into the
NumberFormat and Locale classes for more clues to what's happening.