Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by Neal Gamradt <ng...@hotmail.com> on 2004/03/31 00:39:38 UTC

EMBPerl 2.0 vs. EMBPerl 1.3

Hello All,

I am looking into developing a new PostgreSQL database driven website.
Historically speaking I have used Apache 1.3 with mod_perl and EMBPerl 1.3.
I like to use FreeBSD as my OS of choice on web servers.  EMBPerl 1.3 has
been rock solid stable and I have wanted to wait a good long time to make
sure that mod_perl and EMBPerl 2 are stable on Apache 2.0.  Since EMBPerl 2
is at BETA 11 I am wondering how confident people feel about using it in a
production environment?  Is mod_perl for Apache 2.0 as stable as mod_perl
for Apache 1.3?  I don't want to get way too far behind the times and I also
don't want to move to something that is much less stable than EMBPerl 1.3.
If people on the mailing list could give me their opinions it would be
greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Neal

Re: EMBPerl 2.0 vs. EMBPerl 1.3

Posted by "Beau E. Cox" <be...@beaucox.com>.
On Tuesday 30 March 2004 12:39 pm, Neal Gamradt wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am looking into developing a new PostgreSQL database driven website.
> Historically speaking I have used Apache 1.3 with mod_perl and EMBPerl 1.3.
> I like to use FreeBSD as my OS of choice on web servers.  EMBPerl 1.3 has
> been rock solid stable and I have wanted to wait a good long time to make
> sure that mod_perl and EMBPerl 2 are stable on Apache 2.0.  Since EMBPerl 2
> is at BETA 11 I am wondering how confident people feel about using it in a
> production environment?  Is mod_perl for Apache 2.0 as stable as mod_perl
> for Apache 1.3?  I don't want to get way too far behind the times and I
> also don't want to move to something that is much less stable than EMBPerl
> 1.3. If people on the mailing list could give me their opinions it would be
> greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Hi Neal -

I have been using Apache2/mod_per 2/Mason for about nine months on my
personal web site, and for about six months on four web sites I
administer. Very solid. I can not address the comparison between
1.x and 2.x because I have never used Apache 1.x nor mod_perl 1.x.

I am new to Embperl, but have been using it for about two months on my
personal web site. I wish it was totally thread safe so that I could
use the worker MPM, but it works fine under prefork.

I am using everthig 'beta' (CVS) on my personal web site with excellent
results.

My advice: they are ready-for-prime-time, go for it ;)

Aloha => Beau;